29 - The Bloodbender

"Is that all you got," Carter said, grinning as he stood across from Tommy, dodging the mix of water blasts and rocks sent at him.

"Not a chance," Tommy smiled, he spun around then sent a blast of air at Carter, sending him flying back. He panicked as Carter hit the rocks behind them, but he just started laughing.

"Woo," He raised their hands in the air. "That was amazing. You've definitely improved."

"I thought I hurt you," Tommy let out a sigh of relief.

"Eh, you'd be surprised what it takes to hurt me," Carter said. He looked up as a bison flew over and landed at the caves' entrance. "Uh oh, Tenzin's here. You should probably get down there."

"Yeah," Tommy said, he jumped onto a ledge and used his earthbending to bring him down the gorge.

"Technoblade, of course you're at the center of all this trouble," Tenzin said, his arms folded looking at the cross waterbender.

"Despite unpopular belief," Techno said, "I'm not the one who freed Zaheer."

"Then if not you, who was it?" Tenzin demanded, "Need I remind you of the last time Zaheer escaped?"

"No, it wasn't me. I don't know who did it, I ran a full investigation in the time it took you to get here," Techno said.

"Are you covering for someone," Tenzin raised an eyebrow.

"What's going on here," Tommy came up to them before Tenzin could ask Techno anymore questions. "Are you Master Tenzin?"

"Yes, and who are you," Tenzin asked. Tommy looked to Techno, not knowing if he should say that he was the Avatar. Techno nodded.

"I'm the Avatar," He said, "Technoblade took me here to train."

"Who else came with you," Tenzin said.

"Only Philza," Tommy said, revealing Ranboo would just make Tenzin more suspicious of Techno hiding something.

"Well seen as neither of you are wanting to tell me the truth," Tenzin said, folding his arms. "I'm taking Technoblade into White Lotus custody for bloodbending. Even if it was to take Zaheer's bending."

Tommy looked as Techno's eyes went wide. He started thinking of what he could do. Then he remembered something about Avatar Aang. "It wasn't Techno, it was me. I took Zaheer's bending when he tried to kill me. He hasn't been bloodbending either. I didn't know he was a bloodbender until you said so."

"Is this true," Tenzin looked to the other White Lotus guards.

"It very much could be, it was only them in the cave where Zaheer was found," the guard said, he looked between the two unsure of which one had stopped Zaheer's airbending. Technoblade or Tommy.

"That's convenient," Tenzin said. "Chief Technoblade, I will need to speak to the Avatar for a moment. As for you, you will need to leave by the time I leave here. You will have a few days to do so."

"Fine," Techno said, tension thick in his voice. "I didn't want to be here with you anyway."

"Come, Avatar," Tenzin started into the caves.

"My name is Tommy," He snapped, following him anyway. Tenzin didn't respond as they went deeper into a different part of the caves.

"You deserve to know who is really training you, young Avatar," Tenzin said, leading Tommy into one of the smaller caves with a hole in the top letting in sunlight. It had a cot, several empty food bowls piled neatly in the corner, and small marks covering the walks. The door was made of steel and had evidence that it had been through... something. "Please, sit."

"Who's room is this," He asked, tracing his fingers across the walls. The cave almost felt like a prison. Dust coated the cot and cobwebs hung in the corners.

"To know that you first need to know why they were kept in here," Tenzin said, "It happened 11 years ago, I was traveling through the North Pole to the spirit portal with the current Chief, her brother, and son."

"That's Technoblade, right," Tenzin nodded.

"He was a good kid, it was supposed to be a normal trip to check on the Spirit World, but then we got attacked. It was night and the full moon had led wolves to us. I managed to fend them off but then for some reason Technoblade attacked us. I was already wounded from the wolves and was knocked unconscious by him. I then woke to him healing my injuries, Desna and Eska were dead. I don't know why he didn't kill me, but I never gave him the chance. He was kept here until we could be sure that he would never bloodbend again."

"I- but he wouldn't, sure he's stubborn and sarcastic but he wouldn't kill someone," Tommy said, this was so much to process. Technoblade wasn't the nicest person, but in the end Ranboo and Phil were friends with him, and Tommy trusted him.

"But he did, now tell me, who really took away Zaheer's airbending," Tenzin said calmly.

"I did," Tommy said, sticking with the lie. He knew that not only did Techno earn his trust, but that Techno should trust him, and if that meant lying to the airbending master then he was going to stick with his word. "And whatever you hope to get from me by telling me this, isn't going to happen. Good day."

Not waiting for a response Tommy stormed out. He was sick and tired of this. Of adults thinking they could use him against his friends. Thinking that he was a weak, stupid child. He curled his firsts and punched the rock wall, his earthbending making the rock crack.

"Punch it harder, you might actually get some freedom," Techno said.

"I'm not talking to you right now," Tommy said, rage boiling inside of him.

"He told you didn't he," Techno said, Tommy looked away from him. "I was young, I didn't know the extent of my powers. I never wanted to hurt anyone."

Tommy walked away, where? He didn't know. He started wandering the gorge, following the river running in the bottom of it so he could find his way back if he wanted. He just wanted to be left alone.

Techno sighed, as long Tenzin held a grudge against him the past would always come back to haunt him. He looked as Tommy ran down the gorge then went back to Carter's house. Phil would want to know what happened. It was time to leave anyway.

"Let me get this straight," Phil said, "Tommy covered for you then Tenzin told him about what happened in the North Pole."

"It was probably to get him to rat you out," Ranboo said.

"Tommy also lied about you even being here," Techno said, glancing at Philza. "I don't know why but he thought it was something he needed to do."

"You sure," Ranboo raised an eyebrow, "You can't possibly think of why Tommy lied about me being here?"

Techno sighed, "You two figured out what happened with Zaheer."

"Yeah, it would have been nice if you actually told me, instead you're still trying to protect me from myself," Ranboo said. "I know I can't control it, but I hurt Tommy in that state. And..."

"And what," Phil asked, "We want to help you, you can tell us."

"I know who the voice sounds like," Ranboo finally said after a moment of silence. "It's Clay's."

"Tommy's brother?" Techno asked, looking to Phil for confirmation.

"Yes, I don't know why I just know they sound the same," Ranboo said. "You can't tell Tommy, he's freaked out about enough already."

"We won't," Phil said, "Not until you're ready."

"You have to go back," Carter came rushing in, "It's hard to explain how I know, but you have to go back to Republic City. I think something bad is happening."

Woohoo! Another chapter! And right before exams. I bless you all with the strange and convenient Carter, my beloved oc.

Thank you all for reading, please vote and comment. Peace out benders and Minecrafters from around the world!