16 - Out of Time

As Tommy lay in his bed, the words from Scott the night before echoed in his head. He took the address from off the table, looking at it before stuffing it in his pocket. Tommy pressed his ear against the door, listening for the footsteps of Clay. It had been a busy day and he wasn't able to sneak out like old times. As the house remained silent he quickly unlocked the window and hopped down. He ran through the streets and eventually came to Airbender Island, light came from the main building and as he came closer he could hear voices. They all sounded happy. Tommy looked through a window to see Tubbo smiling with Schlatt, Crumb with her dad, and Puffy sitting with Asami and Bolin.

"It's kinda rude to stare," Jack said, making Tommy jump. "But, then again what do I know, you're 'the Avatar'."

"Probably more than me," Tommy sighed, sitting against the side, looking up as it started to rain. "You think I should go in?"

"Nah, you'd ruin the mood, I wouldn't want to if I were you," Jack said. "In my opinion Tubbo has been a crappy friend to you, he doesn't deserve for you to go in."

"Or maybe I've been the crappy friend," Tommy said.

"I don't know," Jack shrugged, "could be both."

"I should go," Tommy said.

"Probably," Jack said.

"Don't tell anyone I was here," Tommy said, pulling his jacket tight, trying to avoid getting wet, it would be nearly impossible to hide this from Clay.

"Didn't plan on it," Jack said, going back inside as Tommy walked away. He glanced back at the building before continuing back to his place.

By the time he had made it home he was soaking wet and the sun had begun to set, he had taken a huge risk going out before dinner but at the time he thought it was worth it. Tommy came around to the window of his room and as he moved to open it, much to his horror, it was locked. His breath hitched, he didn't lock it, it was impossible to lock from the outside. Slowly he came around front and opened the unlocked door. Standing there in the entrance hall was Clay.

"You know, I thought you wouldn't lie to me, yet here we are," Clay said, letting a silver compass drop from his hand, holding onto the chain. "I thought if I just let you sneak out you'd eventually stop on your own. Turns out I was wrong."

"I-" Tommy froze, water dripping from his golden hair. Wilbur had given Tubbo matching compasses for his birthday, and Tommy had been the one to receive the other one. He felt his heart hammer, what would happen now that Clay had found it and everything else he was hiding. "I'm sorry, just please don't-"

"I thought we could finally trust each other, but no, you took advantage of my kindness," Clay said, his voice full of hurt and pain.

Tommy flinched. He felt terrible, but he didn't think Clay would believe him anymore. "No, Clay please, it won't happen again." He started to try and bargain with Clay as he headed towards Tommy's room. "Yes, it's my fault and I'm sorry."

"Get out of the way," Clay snapped as Tommy stood in front of his door.

"Oh, okay," Tommy looked at his feet as he moved aside. He swallowed the lump in his throat as Clay took out a key and locked the door. Everything he owned was in there, well almost everything. "I'm sorry, just please don't do anything to my things. I'll do what you want, I'll listen to you."

"Follow me," Clay said, and Tommy started to glance back at the direction of the front door. He could make it. Clay couldn't bend. "Tommy. Now."

"Okay, I'm coming," Tommy sighed, it wasn't worth it, he'd get in less trouble if he listened. Clay silently led him to a room deep in the house. His heart sunk as Clay unlocked it. It was a small cramped room with no windows, a dim light bulb hanging from the ceiling, and only a pillow and blanket for him to sleep on.