Prologue

Main Casts:
Red Velvet Irene...herself
Red Velvet Wendy...herself
NCT Doyoung...Kim Y/n

***

"Excuse me, Miss Joohyun, is the news true?" Walking past through waves of paparazzi was Irene, the leader of the famous K-pop girl group, Red Velvet. She had just finished her schedule for the day and was on her way towards her van when the paparazzi start swarming her and asked her questions about the news that was published by Soompi.

"Please, give some space for her to walk!" Guards started to push the paparazzi out of the way. Irene continued to walk towards her van while ignoring the questions thrown at her, avoiding eye contact with the paparazzi.

She was close to the van when someone threw an egg in her direction, earning a gasp from people around the scene. "You sick b*tch!" Someone cursed from among the crowd. Irene sighed and wiped the egg off her cheeks before getting on the van.

Once she was inside, the van started to move away from the location. A few hours later, she was finally home where her members Wendy and Joy were waiting for her at the front door. "Unnie..." Wendy approached her, but Irene stopped her before she could get any closer.

"I uh... I need some time to be alone," said Irene before storming to her room where she finally cried after locking the door behind her — it was too much for her to handle as she received a lot of hate comments on her social media and received death threats through DMs as well.

Meanwhile, somewhere in the countryside, Y/n had just woke up from his afternoon nap. He lives with his grandparents and his divorced mother.

"Someone finally decided to show up after sleeping for a whole day," said Y/n's mother when she saw him appear in the kitchen.

"Good afternoon to you too, mom," Y/n quickly brushed her off.

"Oh dear... what should we do with you?" Mrs Kim sighed and looked at her helpless son. "You graduated from that culinary school; le Gordon something yet you are still jobless."

Y/n rolled his eyes and looked at his mother before talking, "mom, first off; it's Le Cordon Bleu," he corrected his mother while pronouncing the culinary school's name with a decent French accent — "And secondly; trust the process," he winked at her before sitting down on the floor next to his mother.

"Now, moving on to K-pop news — the leader of the famous girl group Red Velvet has decided to put a halt on all her activities following allegations that were made against her. The leader or better known by her stage name; Irene was reported to be abusing her staffs. It was also reported that she throws spiteful and rude comments towards her staffs. Now —"

Y/n sighed and changed the channel before looking at his mother, "we shouldn't be looking at stuff like that, you know? All these news and allegations wouldn't bring any benefits to us," explained Y/n. His mother nodded and got up from the floor.

"I wasn't going to listen to it anyway — I need to get back to the potato farm now..." she said with an accent. "Make sure to come and help us soon, understand?"

Y/n clicked his tongue and waved her off before turning the TV off. This wasn't actually the life Y/n was expecting the moment he graduated from culinary school — he was expecting to be working in a hotel's kitchen, but he was too afraid of being judged by other people regarding his cooking. That was the reason he decided to rest for a few months, but then months became years, and this plan to rest for a few months was three years ago which was when Y/n was 22 and now, he is 25 years old.

Meanwhile, back in Seoul, Irene was packing her bags and got ready to say goodbye to her members before leaving the dorm.

It took her 30 minutes to pack her bags, and once she was done, it was time to say goodbye to her members.

"Is it really necessary for you to live away from us?" Yeri, the youngest in the group asked.

Irene nodded and smiled softly before pulling Yeri for a hug, "it is — I don't want paparazzi(s) to be around me while I'm on a break. The one thing I really need at the moment is solitude."

"Don't worry, Yeri — because we can still FaceTime her!" said Wendy optimistically in the hope to comfort the youngest member. 

"Take care while you are away, alright?" said Joy — another one of the members. She was trying not to cry in front of the oldest member, but the thought of being away from each other was saddening her.

"We have to go now, Irene," their manager announced as he opened the door to the dorm.

"See you soon, guys!" Irene waved at her members before leaving the dorm. She sighed and closed the door behind her before walking towards the van that was waiting for her outside the dorm.

Back in the countryside, Y/n was trying his best to dig out potatoes from the ground. "Take a break they said, it will be good they said."

"Stop fretting, more digging!" said a voice that was so familiar to Y/n — It took him only a few seconds to guess whose voice it was.

"Oh, shut up you old hag!" he rolled his eyes and looked at his childhood friend; Sejeong. "Instead of talking, why don't you come down from that tree and help me instead?"

Sejeong laughed and swung her legs back and forth, "how about... no? I like seeing you suffer," said Sejeong before looking at Y/n with a teasing smile.

"Jesus..." right before Y/n could continue, a rubber boot went flying towards his head.

"Don't use His name in vain, Y/n!" it was Mrs Kim who threw the boot at him.

"Alright, alright — I'm sorry!" Y/n groaned and continued to dig for potatoes.

"Y/n!!!"

Y/n looked around and saw a little kid running towards him with a huge smile. Y/n got up from his position and crossed his arms.

"What is it?" asked Y/n as he bends to match the kid's height.

"There's a pretty girl at the village's entrance!" said the kid excitedly and Y/n looked at him before looking at his mother.

"A pretty girl?" he questioned and Mrs Kim shrugged.

"Lead me to her," said Y/n, dropping the hand rake from his hand. The kid nodded and ran off, Y/n following directly from behind.

Irene looked around the village and dropped her bags before doing a little stretching. "Hopefully this place isn't found by paparazzi(s)," she mumbled and peeked her head inside the van, "you can leave now, manager."

Her manager looked at her, confused. "Wait — I thought I'm supposed to watch over you?" he asked.

Irene chuckled softly and shook her head, "when I said I need to be alone, I mean it literally," she explained.

"But this place is filled with people —" her manager said and Irene shook her head.

"You get what I mean, don't you?"

Her manager shook his head.

"I mean, I need to be away from people that are close with me. I need to find myself again, alright?" Irene explained further and her manager finally understand.

"Well, take care then," he said as the van left the village.

"Here's the pretty girl!" Irene raised her eyebrows and turned around only to see Y/n and the little kid, panting and catching their breath.