Chapter 38

That midnight, Y/n and Suho were in the former's room, having a man-to-man conversation.

"Y/n, are you sure that you don't have any feelings for Irene anymore?" asked Suho, looking at Y/n seriously while crossing his arms.

Y/n sighed softly and nodded, looking at Suho, "even if I do, Junmyeon, it will be inappropriate for me to continue holding onto those feelings when she is in a relationship with you," he replied, leaning against the wall, looking at the latter who was sitting on the bed.

Suho didn't say anything for the first few minutes, but after a while, he sighed heavily, "You said that, but why do I feel like I was ruining you guys' relationship?"

"Don't say that," Y/n said, crossing his arms, "if anything, I am the one that should apologize for not respecting you guys' relationship," he added before looking at the floor, feeling bad for harbouring feelings toward Irene.

"But you didn't know at first, so it wasn't your fault," Suho replied.

Y/n shook his head and got up from his mattress, "that doesn't justify me having feelings for her," he said before walking toward the door.

Suho watched him for a while before asking, "Where are you going?"

"I want to get some fresh air," the latter answered before opening the door. Y/n went downstairs, where Irene, Wendy, Sejeong, and Yuri were talking in the dining room.

Yuri, who noticed Y/n raised her eyebrows, "oh, Y/n – where are you going?" she asked.

The other girls looked at Y/n, who was also looking at them, "I'm going out for a quick walk outside," he said before continuing to walk toward the front door.

"But it's already late," Sejeong said as Y/n disappeared from sight. After receiving no response, she blew a raspberry and sighed, "he already left," she shook her head before resting her forehead on the table.

Irene smiled at Sejeong's action before patting her head, "I bet he heard you loud and clear, but he was too lazy to respond," she said, trying to lift the latter's mood.

Meanwhile, Y/n went to the paddy field and walked along the edges while enjoying the peace – dogs could be heard barking from a distance along with the sound of crickets, making the place even more ideal for him to calm his mind.

After fifteen minutes, Y/n sighed softly and sat on the slope leading to the field, staring into the distance as he recalled everything that had happened.

Earlier that day, Y/n witnessed how close Wendy and Minhyuk were – it was almost as if she had forgotten that Y/n was her boyfriend. He sighed, trying to get the sight out of his head, but it became clearer.

And then, there was the kiss he shared with Irene – he didn't mean for it to happen, but it did, and there was nothing he could do about it. Y/n sighed again before hanging his head low, plucking on the grass while staring at the ground.

Finally, there was the conversation with Suho from not long ago – his question made Y/n rethink his feelings for Irene, but he was sure he could move on from her because Wendy was there when he needed her.

Y/n was so deep in thought that he didn't even notice Wendy sitting beside him on the slope. "What are you thinking about?" asked Wendy.

The former gasped and looked at her in surprise, "Oh, Wendy..." he shook his head, "it's nothing..." he said before shaking his head.

Wendy could see that something was bothering him, but she didn't want to force him to say anything since it would only make things worse for them. They sat in silence afterwards while enjoying the peace.

After a while, Y/n started a conversation, "so, are you going to meet Minhyuk again tomorrow?" he asked, looking at Wendy.

The latter hummed and looked at him, smiling before shaking her head. "I don't think he will be here tomorrow," she said before tilting her head slightly, "why do you ask?"

Y/n shook his head and looked at the field, "I was just wondering," he answered, not meeting her eyes. "You looked very happy when you were with him."

"I mean, it's been a while since we last saw each other," Wendy shrugged, not realizing how the words might sound to Y/n.

Y/n stared at her in silence for a few minutes before sighing softly, "I see..." he mumbled before looking away from Wendy, "you must've been really happy, aren't you?" he continued while plucking the grass.

Wendy nodded, "I am," she answered.

"Happier than when you are with me," Y/n added, and Wendy quickly looked at him.

"What makes you say that?"

Y/n shrugged and hummed, "Let's see – right, you barely noticed my presence, and you ignored me the whole time you were with Minhyuk," he said, shrugging.

Wendy sighed softly, "Y/n..."

"I mean, it's fine – I understand that you were very happy to be able to meet Minhyuk again," he said, looking at her with a soft smile.

Wendy shook her head, "I'm sorry, Y/n... I didn't mean to do that," she said before taking Y/n's hand and holding it close, "I am so sorry," she continued apologizing.

Y/n shook his head and sighed softly, "it's okay... I'm not mad..." he replied before moving closer to her, "I'm just a little sad that you barely looked at me today," he added, using his free hand to cup her cheek.

It wasn't easy to let the matter slide, but Y/n knew better that it was pointless to drag it any further, especially now that Wendy apologized for it, and she didn't mean to do it on purpose.

They stared at each other for a few seconds before Wendy cleared her throat, "I love you," she said, much to Y/n's surprise – he didn't expect her to say it first, but when she said it, his heart started to beat fast.

"I love you too," Y/n replied softly when he saw her smiling.