Chapter 28

Y/n covered his nose and looked away from Sejeong before clearing his throat, "I was hoping you wouldn't bring my nose into the conversation," he exclaimed.

"How can I not? It looked pretty bad," Sejeong retorted, moving along with his head to get a better view of Y/n's face. After a while, the latter sighed and showed the bandage to her. "What happened?"

He shrugged and crossed his arms, "it's embarrassing to tell you myself," he said before looking at Wendy, hoping she could answer in his place.

Wendy smiled, "he slipped and hit the floor while redecorating his room," he answered.

Yuri, who had been watching for a while, giggled softly before nodding, "that is quite embarrassing," she commented.

The teenagers laughed before returning to work – Y/n went to the community hall, where his grandparents organized the vegetables and fruits into different boxes. "Can I help?" asked Y/n as he entered the hall.

His grandmother looked at him, "oh, Y/n?" she put the box she was carrying down before nodding, "I thought you weren't coming – of course, come here and help your grandpa with the melons," she said, pointing at Y/n's grandfather and a few other old men.

Meanwhile, Wendy was helping Sejeong, Yuri, and Chaewon with the main stage's decorations. "I thought Y/n said you guys weren't coming," said Sejeong, handing the stapler gun to Chaewon.

Wendy shrugged, "we weren't. But then, we wanted to breathe in the fresh air, so," she giggled and looked around, "here we are."

Sejeong looked around and waited for Yuri and Chaewon to walk away before leaning in to whisper to Wendy, "your manager did that to Y/n's nose, didn't he?"

The latter looked at her in surprise – she wasn't expecting Sejeong to figure it out on her own. "Wait, how did you...."

"I saw the van drove past a while ago."

Wendy nodded and sighed softly, "Y/n was talking back, and I guess his words triggered Manager Kim, so he punched him."

Sejeong sighed and shook her head, "that idiot... he should know when to run that mouth of his – I knew he would ended up getting hit sooner or later," she looked at Wendy.

"It's not entirely his fault, you know?" Wendy looked at Sejeong, "my manager was also to blame."

The taller girl looked at her and tilted her head, "oh, yeah? And why is that?" she asked, crossing her arms.

Wendy was about to open her mouth, but she immediately decided against it as she looked away, thinking if she should tell the truth to Sejeong or not – not that the latter wasn't trustworthy. Still, she was scared that things would only get worse if she let her know.

"Wendy?"

"Huh?" Wendy was snapped out of her thought as she looked at Sejeong again, a small smile on her face. "What was that?"

Sejeong sighed softly before flashing a smile, "you were contemplating between telling me or not, weren't you?"

The girl with wolf-cut hair nodded, "yeah, sorry."

"It's alright, Wendy! Just let me know when you are ready to tell me," she said and looked at the other girls, "I will be over there if you need me," she added, tapping Wendy's shoulder before running towards them.

Later that day, Wendy waited for Y/n outside the community hall – she was told that the latter was helping the elderly organize the vegetables and fruits for tomorrow. After a few minutes, he stepped out of the hall, and the first thing he saw was Wendy sitting on the stone bench, fidgeting with her fingers.

Y/n smiled and cleared his throat, "Seung-Wan," he called.

Wendy raised her head and smiled when she saw Y/n. "Y/n," she got up and walked towards him, wrapping her arms around his waist and resting her head against his chest.

"What's wrong?" asked Y/n, patting her head.

She looked around before looking up at him, "let's talk somewhere more private," she said. Y/n nodded, and they went to the potato field that was twenty minutes away from the town square.

Once there, Y/n and Wendy sat under the shady tree, watching a muster of storks flying above the paddy field next to their potato field. "What is it?" asked Y/n.

"It's just that...." Wendy smiled softly at him, "I wanted to thank you for standing up for me today."

Y/n stared at her without a word, and Wendy looked at him, her smile growing as she continued, "I never think about it before, but today, you made me realize that Manager Kim is...."

Before she could continue, Y/n pulled her for a kiss. Wendy's eyes widened at the sudden kiss, and she was frozen for a while, but after a few seconds, she gave in and returned the kiss.

"What was that for?" she asked once they broke the kiss.

He smiled and cupped her cheeks, "you should not say anything bad about him. He is your manager, after all," he said, caressing them with his thumbs.

Wendy scoffed softly, "and yet, you were talking back to him a while ago – don't you think that was a bit unfair?"

Y/n shrugged and kissed her forehead, "what I did was different. I said what I said because I don't have to work with him, but you," he looked at her, "your situation is different," he winked.

Meanwhile, Manager Kim entered the Red Velvet's dorm in Seoul, frustrated. Irene, Yeri, Joy, and Seulgi looked at him, "so, is she really there?" asked Yeri.

Manager Kim nodded and sighed softly, "oh, that stubborn kid," he groaned before punching the air.

Irene looked at him, "what's wrong, Manager Kim?"

"It's nothing – it's just that Y/n boy. He is quite a hardheaded fellow," he sighed, resting his hands on his hips and hanging his head low.

Seulgi tilted her head, "what did he do?"

As Manager Kim and the other girls talked, Irene looked away for a moment, and a proud smile formed on her face – Manager Kim was known as a strict and firm manager in SM, so to know that Y/n was able to make him this frustrated made her feel proud.

"Way to go, Y/n," she mumbled before looking at the others.

Back in the village, Y/n and Wendy were finally on their way home after spending more than an hour at the field.

"You never told me you were a DJ," said Y/n in disbelief as he looked at the girl beside him. He had just stumbled upon a clip of Wendy DJing for the radio show Young Street while scrolling through TikTok.

Wendy giggled and took his hand, swinging their hands back and forth, "would that change anything?"

Y/n shrugged, "I mean – that explains why you look exhausted all the time," he exclaimed and looked at Wendy seriously.

They stopped walking, and Wendy looked at him confusedly, "what do you mean? I look perfectly fine."

"Yeah, because you are getting enough sleep here, but when you got here two days ago, you look exhausted out of your mind."

Wendy shook her head, "I'm fine though," she replied.

"No, no, no, that won't do," he said as he pulled her home gently, "as long as you are here, I am making sure your health is taken care of."