Chapter 42

"How often does she come home, if you don't mind me asking," asked Irene, looking at Yuri and her parents, who were smiling at the former – glad to know that she knew Boah, Yuri's older sister and the first daughter in their family.

Yuri shrugged, "it's hard to say – sometimes she comes home twice a month, but sometimes, she never comes home," she answered before serving the rice to the others.

Irene nodded, "that is understandable – knowing how packed her schedules are," she exclaimed before looking at Yuri's parents, who didn't seem sad about their first daughter's infrequent visit. "But doesn't it feel sad that she couldn't come home often?"

Yuri's mom shook her head, "the first few months when she debuted, of course, it was sad," she nodded before crossing her arms, "but after a year, we got used to it."

"Besides, she always texts us, so we know that she is taking good care of herself," Mrs Jo added before clasping her hands, "now, enough about her, let's eat!" she said before looking at the three celebrities, who nodded in agreement.

For the rest of the day, Y/n and the others were in the Jo's household's rice field – he, Wendy, and Suho were helping Yuri's grandparents fix the dam separating the areas, while Irene, Sejeong and Yuri took turns using the tractor to prepare plots to plant rice.

"It's a lot colder now that the sun isn't up," Y/n sighed in relief before looking at the overcast sky. "But we should speed up because it looks like it's about to rain," he said to the other two before moving toward an unfinished dam, fixing it with his mom.

Lina looked at him before looking over her shoulder. Wendy was talking to Yuri's grandmother about the latter's past and how she turned from a city girl into a country girl after meeting Yuri's grandfather.

"So, have you made up your mind?" Lina asked his son with a soft smile.

Y/n looked at her and then at Wendy, who was smiling while listening to Yuri's grandmother before looking back at his mom, "I wouldn't say my decision is final, but yes – I have decided," he answered.

Lina tilted her head, "what do you mean your decision is not final?"

"I don't know – I want to see how it turned out first – I don't want to be disappointed again," he said before looking at Wendy again, who noticed him and waved. Y/n said so to his mother because he was afraid that Wendy might change her feelings at the last minute – he knew how she acted when Minhyuk visited yesterday, and Y/n assumed that it might happen again.

"That's good to know," Lina nodded before sitting on the small dam while looking at her son, "so, that must mean that you are no longer harbouring any feelings for Irene?" she asked.

The question made Y/n pause what he was doing before he sighed softly, looking at Irene, who was sitting under the shady tree while fanning herself with a straw hat as she watched Suho, who was now driving the tractor while Sejeong was watching from the tilled ground, her arms on her hips.

Y/n looked away after a few seconds as he sat beside his mom, "I wouldn't say I don't have any feelings for her anymore, but we decided to, you know, focus on our current relationship because that was the right thing to do."

"Oh, my son is growing up~" Lina exclaimed before ruffling Y/n's hair.

The latter chuckled and fixed his hair after his mom ruffled it before nodding, "of course," he said before clearing his throat, looking into the distance again before sighing softly. It wasn't long after that when it started raining heavily.

"I guess it's a sign for us to go home," Y/n exclaimed before getting up from the ground – the dam they had made since morning quickly collapsed because of the rain. Lina didn't take long as she was already on her way to the shady tree where the others had gathered.

Y/n looked at them for a few seconds before joining them – he struggled to walk through the field as the ground started getting wetter and softer, and each step felt like pulling his foot out of quicksand.

Wendy watched him from the shady tree while hugging herself – the wind got more robust as time passed. "Come on, Y/n! Hurry up!" she shouted to her boyfriend, who was already halfway through the field and covered in mud.

After struggling for ten minutes, Y/n climbed up from the field – his feet were covered in mud. "I told you to wear rubber boots!" Wendy scolded when he was in front of her. "What if you get sick?"

"Yeah, I know – I'm sorry," Y/n said with a sheepish smile, but Wendy sighed, looking away.

Sejeong didn't let the opportunity to tease Y/n slide as she quickly looked at the latter with a sly smile, "ooh – someone is getting the silent treatment today," she teased, earning a soft smack on her back from their grandmother.

"Don't say that Sejeong," she scolded. "Let's go home now," Y/n's grandmother told them, and everyone quickly agreed.

***

Later that day, the rain only seemed to get heavier. Y/n, who had just finished showering, stepped out of his bathroom. "Feel free to use my clothes, Junmyeon," he said to Suho, standing beside the bathroom door in his boxer brief – their dirty clothes in the laundry basket.

Suho nodded and quickly entered the bathroom. Y/n went downstairs into the living room, where Wendy sat while resting her head against the sliding doorframe as she watched the rain.

"Give this to her," Sejeong said to Y/n before giving him a cup of tea. The latter watched his cousin again enter the kitchen before clearing his throat. He made his way to Wendy before sitting down beside her.

He put the cup of tea beside her before smiling, "hey," he greeted, but Wendy ignored him.

Y/n frowned slightly before resting his head against her shoulder, "are you still angry at me?" he asked – Wendy had been ignoring him ever since they got back from the rice field, and he had been trying to make her talk to him ever since.

There was no response from Wendy – instead, she shifted her position before crossing her arms. Y/n sighed softly, "Wendy... don't be angry at me, please," he said, poking her cheek.

After a few minutes, Wendy sighed in defeat, "you are too stubborn for your good," she finally said to Y/n with a serious expression. The latter looked at her and smiled softly. "Don't smile. I'm not done scolding you yet," she added before flicking his forehead.

"You should've listened to me... we never knew what might happen, and it rained," she complained.

Y/n raised an eyebrow, "and?"

Wendy gave him a look of disbelief, "And? Y/n, do you seriously have to ask?" she said, "You struggled to even get out of the rice field, and it was raining heavily at that. What if you get sick?"

Y/n stared at her for a few seconds before kissing her – immediately shutting her up.

"I..."

He kissed her again – copying what he saw from a K-Drama a few years ago before smiling, "Are you done?" 

Introducing...