Chapter 41

Wendy and Y/n took their time walking to the potato field, but Irene met them midway through the slight downhill road before they could get there. "Oh, Irene – where are you going?" Wendy asked, smiling at her.

Irene looked at them and smiled, "I was on my way to tell you, guys, that we are not working at the potato field today," she said while fanning herself with her hands.

The couple exchanged looks before looking at Irene in confusion, "then where are the others right now?" asked Y/n while tilting his head slightly to get a better view of Irene, whose face was covered by the straw hat she was wearing.

"Over there," Irene said, pointing toward Yuri's family's land. "Your mom and grandparents are helping the Jo's at the rice field."

Y/n nodded and cleared his throat, "no wonder Sejeong was driving the tractor..." he mumbled before turning to Irene again, "should we head there now?" he asked, and the latter shook her head in response.

"You guys go ahead – I got something to do," she said, taking the straw hat off and putting it on Wendy instead, "see you guys in a bit," said Irene with a smile before walking past them.

Wendy looked at her in confusion before deciding not to overthink it, "let's go," she said to Y/n before taking his hand, changing their destination to Jo's household rice field instead. The area wasn't very far from their original destination, but the path's condition made it hard to navigate.

"Y/n," Wendy called as they walked toward the field. Y/n hummed in response, and the former cleared her throat before asking, "How long have you known Yuri? I mean, she was younger than us, no?"

Y/n thought about it before nodding, "it's true that she is younger," he said before pausing, thinking about how to explain their friendship to Wendy, "well, I've known their family since I was a kid," he added before tilting his head, "what else is there...."

Wendy waited patiently as Y/n went through his memories, "ah, right," he said, clicking his fingers after remembering something from his past, "her older sister used to tutor Sejeong and me when we were in elementary school."

Wendy looked at him, surprised by the new information she got from Y/n, "Wait – Yuri has an older sister?"

Y/n looked at Wendy with a smile – he was surprised by her reaction to the information. "Yeah, didn't she tell you guys?"

"No, she never mentioned having an older sister," Wendy replied, shaking her head.

The latter hummed and crossed his arms, "well, she must've thought it wasn't worth mentioning," he said while smiling. Without realizing it, they were getting closer to the field, and they could hear loud music booming from the middle of the field – the song playing was Island by WINNER.

They stopped when they were right by the edge of the field as Y/n scanned it – Sejeong did an excellent job with the tractor, but there was still a lot to do. "Let's get to work," Y/n said to Wendy, but his girlfriend stopped him before he could enter the rice field.

"You should put on a pair of rubber boots (Wellington boots) first before entering," Wendy reminded, but Y/n shook his head.

"Those are for the weak," he said confidently before entering the rice field – he was ankle deep into the muddy ground, and he looked at Wendy with a smile, "See? It's okay!" he exclaimed.

Wendy sighed, not amused by her boyfriend's confidence in this matter, "what about leeches? Aren't you scared of them?"

Y/n smiled, "if you live in the countryside as long as I did, you will get used to them," he said before moving to the centre of the field where his grandparents were talking to Yuri's parents and grandparents.

"Sometimes I wonder if you are a child stuck in an adult's body," Wendy mumbled while shaking her head in disbelief at Y/n's behaviour.

"Let him be – he has been like this since he was a kid," Wendy turned her attention to the voice owner, Lina, Y/n's mother. The former quickly bowed to her, but Lina dismissed her, "There is no need to be formal – you are basically family at this point," Lina sighed.

Wendy awkwardly nodded, "ah... right..." she said before looking at Y/n again, who was talking to Yuri with a huge smile.

"Anyway," Lina cleared her throat and handed Wendy a pair of Wellington boots, "put this on and come with me," she said before smiling. When Wendy saw her smile, she finally realized where Y/n got his smile from.

Shaking the thought out of her head, Wendy cleared her throat and put the rubber boots on, "I am all ready," she said to Lina, who was fanning herself with the straw hat she put on after hearing Wendy.

"Good, come with me," she said before leading Wendy toward an easier path to get into the rice field. "I hope it's not a problem for idols like you, Suho, and Irene to be doing this – especially in this weather," Lina exclaimed, worried that the celebrities would get sunburned.

Wendy shook her head, "It's fine. We are on a break right now, so we might as well do something worthwhile with it," she reassured Lina with a smile.

Meanwhile, Y/n split from the others before walking toward Suho, overseeing Sejeong under a shady tree – crossing his arms while instructing her on how to operate the tractor, even though Sejeong could not hear him under the roar of the machine's engine.

***

After two hours of working in the near-unbearable heat, they finally took a lunch break and gathered under the tree, where they sat in a circle. Irene, who returned fifteen minutes after meeting Y/n and Wendy while on the way to the field, also joined them.

"It's good to see youths like you guys working in the field," Yuri's grandfather exclaimed while looking at Irene, Wendy, Suho, and Y/n sitting beside each other. "It's a rare sight nowadays," he added while eyeing Yuri.

Yuri rolled her eyes playfully before chuckling, "Grandpa, I can see you eyeing me," she exclaimed before looking at her parents, who were helping Lina prepare their meals.

"Ah, by the way," Wendy clasped her hands, remembering her conversation with Y/n while on the way to the field. The others looked at her, "Y/n told me something a while ago, and it was stuck in my head ever since."

"What is it?" Yuri asked, tilting her head.

Wendy looked at Y/n, who was urging her to go ahead and ask. The former smiled and looked at Yuri again, "Y/n told me you have a sister," she said, and the latter froze for a moment. "If you don't mind me asking..."

Yuri looked at her and smiled, "her name is Jo Boah," she answered before crossing her arms and looking at her parents, "although, I don't get why you are curious about her name," she said before looking at Wendy and the others again.

Wendy, Irene, and Suho looked at her in disbelief – their eyes wide open, "wait... Boah... as in... the actress?" Suho asked.

"Yeah," Yuri nodded.

Irene cleared her throat, "The one that starred in 'Tale of the Nine Tailed'?"

Yuri nodded again, chuckling at their reactions. "Yeah, that lady," she said.

Wendy looked at Y/n, who was smiling sheepishly at the former, "you didn't bother telling me her sister's name earlier?" she whispered.

Y/n shrugged, "I thought you should hear it from her sister because I doubt you would believe me if I told you."