Chapter 35

Y/n looked at Wendy after hearing Chungha – he was waiting for her permission.

Wendy looked at him, flashing a soft smile before nodding. Y/n returned a similar smile before looking at Chungha, "wait for me outside," he said.

Chungha nodded and walked out of the stand, crossing her arms as she also waited for Y/n to step outside. Y/n finished his bowl of ramen before excusing himself.

"What is it?" he asked once outside with Chungha.

Chungha looked around them before shaking her head, "not here," she said before leading him toward a quieter spot in the square, free from prying eyes. She looked around again before sighing softly, "Before you say anything, I would like to apologize first."

Y/n tilted his head slightly with knitted eyebrows, "why?"

"So, the things that I said to you earlier today... they were lies," Chungha said rather apologetically.

There was a five-minute silence before Y/n opened his mouth. "So, you actually don't like me – is that what you are trying to say?"

Chungha sighed, shrugging, "There might be some truth in that, but that's not what I want to talk to you about."

Y/n looked in the distance – Yuri and Sejeong were watching them from afar, but he quickly shifted his attention to Chungha, who was starting to look around uneasily. "Then what is that you are trying to convey?"

"Manager Kim," she uttered, and Y/n frowned at the mention of his name – Chungha quickly took notice of the look on the latter's face before sighing, "The reason why I wanted to talk to you in private was that he asked me to confirm that you and Wendy are indeed dating."

Y/n nodded, "Well, you confirmed that – so, what's in it for Manager Kim?"

Chungha walked closer to Y/n, "he wanted me to be one of his 'key' sources."

"I don't get it."

The look on Y/n's face made Chungha sigh, "Manager Kim would anonymously give tips to Allkpop and a few more news outlets regarding your relationship with Wendy, and I would be the one to confirm this as your 'close friend.'"

Y/n shook his head, "He wouldn't do that...."

"You don't have any idea what a desperate person can do—"

"No, that's not what I mean," he cut her off before continuing, "He wouldn't do that without giving you something in return," Y/n exclaimed.

Chungha nodded, "oh," she mouthed before clearing her throat, "well, he offered to help me with my modeling career if I agreed to help him."

"That sounds like a great opportunity for you."

"Yes, it is," Chungha nodded, "but I changed my mind last minute," she said – a part of her regretted the decision because it would've been a boost to her career, but then she realized that it would make her a selfish person.

Y/n furrowed, "Why did you do that?"

"Because I care about you, Y/n – not in a romantic way, but as an old friend. I've hurt you once; I don't want to repeat the same mistake."

Y/n found himself fluttered by her words – but he quickly composed himself before clearing his throat, "I... I appreciate that," he said awkwardly, looking everywhere but Chungha.

***

Later that day, Y/n helped Sejeong prepare the lanterns for that night at Yuri's place – he initially agreed to help them with the lanterns to give Wendy some space to catch up with Minhyuk. But, after what he had witnessed half an hour ago (will explain later in the next chapter), he regretted his decision.