Chapter 64

After their dinner, Y/n and Manager Song got ready to head out to Seoul, and despite it being almost 10 p.m., the former insisted that they go that night because of something important that he forgot at Manager Song's place.

"Drive safe," Lina reminded as she patted her son's head through the van's window.

Y/n smiled before looking at his mother softly, "I will," he nodded before rolling up the window after Lina retracted her arm from the van. The former put his seatbelt on before looking at Manager Song, sitting on the passenger's seat, trying to fit the aux cord into his tablet.

"Doesn't this van have Bluetooth system?" Y/n asked, chuckling at the sight.

Manager Song laughed at his question before nodding, "it does," he answered before showing his tablet screen to Y/n, "but for some reason, the tablet's Bluetooth is not working," he added before finally successfully plugging the cord in.

They finally started to move after a minute – Y/n's mother, grandparents, Sejeong, and the Red Velvet watched from the porch as the van left the driveway. "Well," Lina started stretching before heading back inside the house once the vehicle was out of sight, "I am heading to bed," she said to the others.

"I think I will head to bed, too," Seulgi exclaimed before entering the house.

Back in the car, the drive was filled with upbeat and soft songs, mainly Red Velvet's songs. Y/n looked at Manager Song as they arrived at the T-junction, "you really adore the girls, huh?" he asked before turning his attention to the cars that drove past them.

Manager Song nodded and exhaled softly before crossing his arms, "what can I say – they bring me joy," he said before sighing softly, "before I was hired as their manager, I was in a...dark place, you know?" he looked at Y/n with a small smile, finding it awkward as he put things that way.

"But the more time I spent with them, the more I felt happy, and I actually found a purpose to live," he added, sighing softly. Y/n listened to him talk with a smile – he could see the fondness on Manager Song's face as he spoke about the girls, proving how much he loved them.

Y/n chuckled and shook his head, "you really talked like those fans that said their favorite's presence, and songs saved them," he exclaimed.

"Well, it was true in this case, Y/n – they really did save me from dark thoughts. I mean it," Manager Song nodded before pointing at the empty road in front of them, "you can uh..." he awkwardly rubbed his nose bridge.

Y/n nodded, "oh – right," he said as he started to drive again.

The drive was filled with songs from Red Velvet and Owl City for the next fifteen minutes before Manager Song decided to ask Y/n something. "Hey, um...how was Sejeong as a kid?" he asked, and a knowing smile formed on the latter's face.

"Why? Do you want to use her past as a weapon to tease her?" asked Y/n, keeping his focus on the road, but he stole a glance at Manager Song's face before chuckling, "you guys haven't been on any dates, have you?"

Manager Song coughed awkwardly at the question, "date – what do you mean?" he asked, trying to play it cool as he crossed his arms.

The reaction Y/n got from Manager Song didn't betray his expectation as he shook his head, laughing softly. "I'm just messing around," he said, calming down from his laughter before clearing his throat, "well – Sejeong as a kid, huh...let's see..."

After a few seconds, Y/n shrugged, "well, back when we were kids – this was after she moved away from her father, mind you. She was an energetic, and adventurous kid – we had a hard time keeping up with her."

"She wasn't much different from the Sejeong that you know today," Y/n said before looking at Manager Song with a sheepish smile, "I remember one time, we were playing at the open field – which was now the potato field our family worked on," he stopped at a red light before fixing his position on the driver's seat. "Sejeong got me, and a few other kids in problem when she released our village elder's horses from their stable."

Manager Song raised his eyebrows while listening to the story, "She did what?"

"Yeah," Y/n chuckled before recounting the story again, "We were playing football, and Sejeong suddenly disappeared – we thought she went home because we didn't let her play with us," he shrugged, "fifteen minutes or something like that, we heard horses neighing, and then galloping – we immediately knew whose horses they were because back then, the elder's family was the only one that kept their livestock near the field."

"And then what happened?" asked Manager Song, fully indulging in the story.

Y/n started to drive again as the traffic light turned green, "well, obviously, we were scolded by my grandparents and the other kids' parents," he said before overtaking a car; Manager Song quickly grabbed the handle above him. The former smiled sheepishly at him before continuing his narration, "that day, we ended up going all over the village to gather the horses – we did that for... nine hours? And by the time we were done, it was around this hour," he said, pointing at the dark sky in front of them.

"So... yeah," Y/n nodded, "Sejeong was quite a troublemaker," he said, and as he finished narrating, Manager Song found himself smiling at the thought of Sejeong, smiling, and being carefree, something he had hoped to see lately.

After driving for more than an hour, they finally arrived at the city – and compared to the countryside, the nighttime was livelier, and even though it was almost 11 p.m., the street was filled with people going about their routines.

"It was way different compared to the village," Y/n pointed out – it wasn't his first time seeing it as he literally spent six months there not long ago, but it still amazed him.

Manager Song looked around as well, nodding in agreement before humming, "if you wanted, you could stay at my place again if you ever planned on visiting the city," he suggested, looking at Y/n with a smile as they arrived at the familiar route.

Y/n looked at him and returned the smile before nodding, "maybe soon," he said as he took a turn to the left, arriving at Manager Song's neighbourhood.

***

After parking the van, they didn't waste a second as they went to Manager Song's unit. "It might be a bit messy," the latter said as he turned the lights on, revealing the interior of his place.

Y/n looked at him, feigning annoyance as he crossed his arms, "seriously? Is this what you call messy?" he asked as he walked through the living room, reaching the shelf by the door to Manager Song's room.

"What exactly are did you forgot?" asked Manager Song as he looked around his unit, heading to his kitchen and taking a can of soft drink from the fridge. He leaned against the counter and watched as Y/n searched through the shelf.

"I swear I put it here..." Y/n mumbled before looking over his shoulder, "it is something really important," he replied, smiling as he continued to search the shelf – after almost fifteen minutes, he finally found it.

"Here it is!" He exclaimed as he showed a piece of paper to Manager Song.

Manager Song took a chug of his drink before pointing at the paper, "what's that?"

Y/n smiled and gently tapped on the paper, "this, my friend," he looked at Manager Song, "is a lease."

[A/N – Okay, I originally wasn't planning on updating today, but it didn't feel right if I don't update daily now that I'm on my semester break.]