Chapter 60

Y/n took his phone out of his pocket and answered the call as he looked around, ensuring no one was nearby.

"Hello, what is it, mom?" he asked as he walked towards the front door, sat on the porch, and talked to his mom on the phone.

There was silence on Lina's side before she talked, "Y/n, can you get Sejeong to the hospital right now?" she said – her voice was weak and shaky. Y/n didn't ask anything after that – the tone of his mother's voice was enough to let him know it was important.

Y/n took a deep breath before getting up from the porch and reaching for the doorknob, "okay, we will be there in a while," he replied to his mother before the call ended. He entered the house where Irene, Yeri, and Joy were in the kitchen, cooking.

"Where is Seulgi and Manager Song?" asked Y/n as he entered the kitchen.

Irene looked up from the dish she was cooking before gesturing at the stairs, "they are in Sejeong's room," she answered.

Y/n nodded, thanking Irene, before going upstairs towards Sejeong's room. He heard Sejeong's soft sobbing from outside the room, followed by Seulgi's comforting words. He took a deep breath before slowly opening the door, peeking his head inside to see Sejeong sitting on her bed while resting her head on Manager Song's shoulder while Seulgi sat on her other side, gently patting her back.

"Sejeong," Y/n called softly before walking in front of them.

Sejeong slowly raised her head from Song's shoulder before looking at Y/n, "is he gone yet?" she asked her voice husky from crying the whole time.

Y/n sighed softly before pulling the swivel chair from her studying table, sitting on it before gently taking one of Sejeong's hands, "he is at the hospital, Sejeong..." he said softly before wrapping his hands around hers, "and right now, mom, grandpa, and grandma wanted us to be there," he added, looking at her expression before continuing.

"It's something important, and...as much as you hate him – mom thinks that it would be better if you and I head there right now."

There was a brief silence before Sejeong responded. She cleared her throat before sighing, nodding weakly as she got up from the bed, "okay..." she replied, short and simple – Y/n was expecting her to be against it, that he would have a hard time convincing her, but Sejeong didn't have the energy to argue.

Y/n looked at her with a soft smile, "okay," he nodded before getting up, giving her a gentle pat on the head before looking at Manager Song, "can we talk for a moment?"

Manager Song looked back at him, nodding before getting up from the bed. He followed Y/n outside and closed the door behind him before looking at Y/n, "what's wrong?" he asked, crossing his arms.

"It's uh..." Y/n scratched his nape awkwardly, looking around before finally meeting Manager Song's gaze, "Wendy took the car with her – I mean, I was the one who told her to," he shrugged before clearing his throat, "well, anyway – I was wondering if it wasn't a bother to drive us to the hospital."

Manager Song chuckled softly before nodding, "sure – it's not like I have anything to do," he said before uncrossing his arms and tapping Y/n's shoulder. "Besides, I think I should be there to help Sejeong – emotionally, that is."

The two men laughed the conversation off before Y/n nodded, "alright – I will be waiting downstairs then. You should wait for Sejeong to get changed," he said, earning a nod from Manager Song as a response.

Once downstairs, Y/n entered the kitchen, "um..." he cleared his throat, earning the attention of the other girls as they looked at him with smiles. "Sejeong and I will be heading out to the hospital – can you guys keep an eye on the house while we are gone? I mean, that is if it is fine with you."

Irene nodded on behalf of her members, "sure – we will take care of the house," she said.

Y/n smiled in relief before nodding, "thank you guys," he sighed before crossing his arms, "this wasn't how I planned today to go, but, well... here we are," he shook his head, ending his words with an awkward chuckle.

"Things happened, Y/n – but that doesn't mean we can't improvise our plans for the day," Joy commented as she sat on the dining table, smiling at Y/n.

The others nodded in agreement and talked for a few minutes before Sejeong came downstairs with Seulgi, and Manager Song, with the former walking up to Y/n before tapping on his shoulder.

"I'm ready – let's go," Sejeong said softly, and Y/n looked over his shoulder before nodding.

Y/n looked at the other girls before bowing, "we will leave the house to you guys," he said to them before walking to the front door with Sejeong and Manager Song.

***

After a forty-five minutes drive, they got to the hospital and didn't waste a second as they quickly headed to the elevator.

Manager Song stopped in front of it before smiling, "you guys go ahead – I will be waiting in the car," he said to the two cousins. They thanked him almost simultaneously, with Manager Song nodding as he watched the elevator close before him.

Y/n looked at Sejeong and took her hand before smiling softly, "whatever the doctor might say, please, brace yourself, okay?" he told her softly, and the latter looked at him with a weak smile.

"That's not really helping, Y/n, but I understand – and thank you," she said before sighing softly.

"I'm not good with words, you know that," Y/n replied, feigning offence before chuckling softly, patting her head. Not long after that, they arrived at the floor where Sejeong's father was.

Sejeong took a deep breath before walking out of the elevator with Y/n.

After walking for a few minutes, they finally saw the familiar faces of Y/n's mother, their grandparents, and a doctor standing with them. They walked faster after that, and once they were close enough, the doctor looked at the family with a small smile.

"Everyone is here now, right?" the doctor asked.

Lina nodded, "yes, doctor. We are all here now."

The doctor nodded before clearing his throat, "in that case – I will start by introducing myself, again."

"My name is Shin Soo-Hyun, and I am the one in charge of Mr. Kim Sang-Il," the doctor, Dr Shin, introduced himself before proceeding, "the patient, Mr. Kim," he gestured to the unconscious man in the room behind him before clearing his throat, "I called a friend of mine from Seoul Red Cross Hospital..."

"...and he told me that apparently, Mr. Kim Sang-Il here, was a patient there," Dr. Shin said, earning gasps from the family, especially Sejeong. "Mr. Kim ran from the hospital two days ago. Although, it amazes me how he was able to do so."

Lina looked at Sejeong and Dr. Shin before asking, "what do you mean, doctor?"

Dr Shin took a deep breath before looking at the medical report in his hand before looking back at them, "According to the report that my friend sent me..." he sighed heavily before showing them the report.

"This is not usually ethical for me since I'm supposed to be the one telling you guys, but I think it would be better if you read this yourself," Dr Shin added as he met Y/n's eyes for a moment before the latter looked at the report.

A few minutes later, Y/n's grandma looked away from the report and gasped, losing her balance, "oh dear, oh Lord..." she breathed out as Lina quickly went to help her sit on the bench.

Sejeong looked at Dr Shin, shaking her head in denial, "a-are you sure this was the right report?" she stuttered. "Are you...are you sure you didn't get the reports mixed...?" she continued to ask, tears falling down her cheeks.

Y/n wrapped an arm around her, pulling her close to him, attempting to comfort her, "Sejeong..."

"I'm sorry, but..."

"Have you double-checked the name of the patient?!" Sejeong raised her voice slightly, and Y/n tried to calm her down.