Ch. 11

We entered the room and my eyes fell on Bloom who was flipping through different yearbooks.

"We have a problem," I informed Bloom. "I heard Rosalind's thoughts and she is planning on bringing Burned Ones to school to force us to defend ourselves!"

"How, the barrier," Bloom started before Stella chimed in.

"Has been brought down by Rosalind before," Stella said bluntly.

"Bloom, we have to be ready to stop them," I said my voice filled with defiance but also fear. Fear that our magic wouldn't be enough to stop the Burned Ones, fear of losing those I care about, fear of dying before we knew the truth. I saw similar emotions reflected in Bloom's green eyes.

"What are we supposed to do? We don't even know when Rosalind is going to do this," Aisha said as I looked at them all. I bit my lip as I argued with myself. My powers were stronger so I may be able to get a read from Rosalind without her noticing.

"I'm going to see her and try to read her mind. It may not work," I said as I made the decision. I tried to mask my worry as I looked at my suite mates.

"What if she figures it out?" Musa asked voicing my fears as I looked at each of my friends.

"I can't let her hurt people so I have to take that risk," I said simply. I cared about everyone here and I wasn't about to watch Rosalind put people in danger. "Now I'm going to find her under the guise that I no longer have my binds on."

"If you aren't back in an hour we will come find you," Aisha said firmly. I smiled at her enjoying the bond I had formed with my friends. It was still an adjustment having people care.

"I wouldn't have it any other way," I said to the girls before I turned on my heels exiting the room. I walked to Rosalind's office with a fake grin on my face. I knocked waiting for her to invite me in.

"Come in," she snapped as I opened the door channeling my inner Terra as I practically bounced to Rosalind.

"I got the cuffs off," I beamed at Rosalind.

"Really?" She said her blue eyes shifting down to my wrists boredly. My magic flared as I slipped into Rosalind's mind. I could tell she was disappointed I got the binds off but I quickly pushed beyond her current thoughts to see when she planned to bring down the barrier. It was like she didn't have an mental walls as I rushed through her thoughts. Tomorrow echoed through her mind and I pulled out of her head.

"Was there anything you needed from me now that I've got my magic back?" I asked Rosalind to cover up my motive for being there.

"Read Bloom. She has been defiant and I want to know where her loyalties lie," Rosalind said her voice icy.

"Of course mother," I said firmly before turning and heading back to the dorm. I rushed into the room my smile completely gone with worry in its place. "The barrier is falling tomorrow night."

"We need to get ready then," Terra said simply. "I'll go tell my dad so he can make more of the elixir to help those who get wounded."

"I'm hitting the books," Aisha said rushing off. The rest of us decided we wanted to spend the rest of the day practicing our magic. I snuck away from the girls knowing I needed Farah's advice. She had faced Burned Ones so she might know what to do as a mind fairy. I stepped into the woods passed the barrier. I walked through the woods to the barn. When I entered the barn Farah faced me with a smile until she saw the worry in my blue eyes.

"Rosalind is taking down the barrier tomorrow and bringing Burned Ones," I said as Farah's eyes widened snapping over to Saul who's blue eyes darkened. "Miss Dowling you have faced Burned Ones and I need to know the best way to use my magic." Farah glanced at me softly before speaking.