Ch. 18

I woke up the next morning sitting up. I saw my mother's eyes glance up from whatever she was looking at to meet my gaze. My father was nowhere in sight but I figured he went to check on Sky.

"Hey sweetie, are you feeling better?" My mother asked with a soft smile. I nodded getting to my feet. My body still ached but I wasn't completely drained at the moment. I walked over to her my eyes drifting to the papers on her desk. It was a file with my name on it and Rosalind's handwriting all over it.

"Do you think it's a good idea to read Rosalind's file on me?" I asked hesitantly as my mother frowned. I knew whatever Rosalind had to say wouldn't be comforting for either of us.

"I need to know as much as I can. She describes some of what she has done to you," she said grabbing the folder as I bit my lip. I didn't want her reading everything that happened over my entire life.

"Rosalind didn't get the chance to do much until recently," I stated after debating with myself to open up to Farah about what happened the past few weeks. My mother's gaze shifted to me waiting for me to continue. "Rosalind started focusing on me which is why I think getting caught in her office caused such anger from her."

"What do you mean focused on you?" My mother asked her voice tense. I looked at the ground not really wanting to tell her about my private lessons with Rosalind. I failed and caused Rosalind to lash out at me. "Alira." I shut my eyes for a second before I met my mother's dark concerned eyes.

"I had private lessons from Rosalind in this very office. It didn't go well," I said bitterly. "She had taken an interest in how powerful I had become and so she wanted to personally train me. She asked me to use air magic but I couldn't. Then she asked me to make a barrier for a long period of time but my magic gave out. She got really mad that I couldn't meet a single expectation." I saw a knowing look in my mother's eyes as she took my hand in hers tightly.

"Alira, that was not on you. She wanted you to fail. She thrives on breaking people down so they follow her blindly," my mom said firmly. "You are fifteen Alira, no one at your age has ever used another element so opposite to your primary element. Not a single mind fairy could have conjured a barrier like you have." I felt her arms wrap around me as I fought against my own mind. On one hand I knew my mother was being honest but I spent most of my life feeling like I was weak and not enough.

"I know it's just sometimes I wonder if I can actually measure up to everyone else. I wasn't trained at all. Anything I have was something I figured out on my own," I admitted as she squeezed me tighter.

"Alira, I want you to listen to me. You aren't less than anyone else. You are so strong and beautiful. Even though I didn't get to raise you I'm proud of who you are," she said her voice filled with love and sincerity. A smile played at my lips at the feeling building inside me finally receiving the love I had been denied for so long. We fell into a peaceful silence as I continued to bask in my mother's embrace. Eventually I pulled away taking a seat across from my mother as she smiled at me.

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked her as she nodded. "I know you didn't name me Alira, what was my real name?"

"We went for something related to the fact that you were born from two very strong individuals," she said as I grinned. "Your name was Brielle. You don't have to use it I know you went by Alira for most of your life." I thought the name was fitting. I liked Brielle and I knew beyond my own feelings it would make my mother happy.

"Nope, I want to, it just might take me a minute to adjust to it," I said simply. My mother continued to smile at me her eyes staying on me.

"You are so much like me," she said after a moment and I shot her a cocky smirk.