Ch. 21

We walked into her office and she quickly turned on the lights. I bit my lip as I made my way to the couch sitting down while she started making us something to drink. She didn't say a word as she sat beside me and handed me a cup of hot chocolate. I smiled softly taking the warm cup. I sipped the chocolate letting myself get ready to open up to her.

"Saul, he told me to my face he doesn't think I'm Brielle," I said after a moment. "It hurts but this time it made me so angry that he could just start in on how he thinks I'm not your child or how I'm part of some big scheme to hurt people. He called me cruel for pretending to be Brielle," I continued latching onto my mother's calmness to keep my magic from flaring up as it had a few hours ago. "He had been so kind the night we found out who I was but now he is so cold to me and it's really getting to me."

"He called you cruel," my mother said and I watched the conflict in her eyes. She wanted to support me but she loved Saul too so she wasn't quite sure what to do. She couldn't force him to accept the truth but she wanted to keep me safe.

"You can look through my memories if you want," I told her softly letting my mental walls crumble. She hesitated but a reassuring smile from me had her diving into my head. When she pulled out I noticed deep concern etched into her face.

"You aren't weak Brielle!" She said firmly pulling me into her arms clearly having seen part of my dream as well. "You aren't worthless and no one should ever make you feel that way." I relaxed into her as she muttered words of affection. "You are so strong. You are stronger than I ever was and it's for that reason you will get through this."

"I just wish he would talk to me about his fears rather than pushing me away. It hurts," I said tightly as I pulled out of her arms. "It's like he thinks I've been helping Rosalind this whole time despite almost dying multiple times." She gave me a sad smile as I spoke but I knew there wasn't anything to do other than that. Nothing she could say would change what Saul said or take that pain away. "Do you think you will be okay if I leave for a little bit?" She asked after a moment. Nerves and slight fear filled me but I shook them off giving her a small nod. I didn't really want to be alone but I had a feeling she was going to speak with Saul. She squeezed my hand once before she stood walking out of the office.

I sat in silence as I kept my mind occupied thinking of other things. I pictured how classes would be different. I imagined the darkness fading from the school as the students relaxed into the protective environment instead of the dangerous one we had under Rosalind. Lastly, I thought about what my relationship with my mother would look like moving forward. She was so supportive and loving. She brought a safety I wasn't accustomed to but loved more than anything.

"She is ours and if you don't walk through that door and show her you care you'll not only lose her but break her," I heard my mother's shout though it was muffled by the door. My eyes widened as I stared at the door listening intently. "Saul, it's her. I have never been so sure in my entire life. She has my strength but your spark. She is ours Saul."

"We saw the nursery. No one could have survived that," his voice ground out as a tear slipped from my icy eye. "She's gone Far and the sooner you accept that the sooner Rosalind won't have a hold on you."

"Saul, she is mine. She is a mind fairy and she can fight. She is the best of us both almost to a fault. She will fight with all she has to save people even if it destroys her and the thing is, she needs us more than anything," my mother snapped harshly. "You may think she doesn't care but she was so upset by what you said her magic was unstable." My breath hitched at the worry coming off my mother in waves.

"I don't think she is truly a mind fairy. She had cuffs on twice and is still here to talk about it," Saul said simply. My anger and grief started to build as the conversation continued so I did the only logical thing, stormed out of the office my glowing white eyes meeting his blue ones harshly.