Ch. 17

I woke up and wasn't sure what time it was exactly but I knew it was sometime during the day because it was loud outside. I sat up slowly shifting on the mattress thinking about what Mr. Harvey said. He said he was working on freeing me so I just had to hold on long enough for him to form a plan.

"Little Alira," Andreas called to me as he stepped into the room looking at me through the bars. "Sleep well?" He mocked as I nodded just to piss him off. No point in hiding my defiance now. "Rosalind told me that you won't tell her what you wanted. It saddens me," he said though his voice was filled with false concern. "She will kill you if you don't tell her."

"I'd rather die than spend a moment more following orders blindly," I said firmly as Andreas glared at me. I didn't shrink away like I used to and I wasn't sure if that was because I had nothing to lose or I had become used to it but I just met his gaze with a fire in my own.

"God, how did you turn out like a carbon copy of your mother? You never even met her," he spat his eyes filled with disgust.

"If she was anything like me I'm proud to be her daughter. At least she didn't bend to other people!" I growled as he scoffed.

"Yeah well her unbending nature is why she is dead," he stated before he walked towards the door. "Rosalind is going to give you one last chance to tell her. You know what happens if you disappoint."

"I'll be free either way," I snapped at Andreas as he stepped out of the room. I leaned against the bars in frustration. My fingers grazed over the binds as I shut my eyes. I focused on the inner strength I had trying to keep my mind off the silence in my head and the aching in my chest for my powers. At least my magic was getting a rest even if it was a painful one. I spent hours just sitting in the cage until the sound outside the room died down. That's when she came for me.

"You seem down Alira," Rosalind mocked stepping towards the bars. "You can fix it all you have to do is tell me." I met her unfeeling gaze with a blank look on my face. I wasn't about to give her the satisfaction of seeing me upset. Her false concern shifted to anger when I didn't respond to her. "Clearly you don't understand what you are doing. You will soon." With that she stormed out of the room and I smirked seeing her so pissed at my little display. If I died I might as well go out in a blaze of glory.

Again it was quiet and this time I couldn't hear anyone outside the room so I figured that it was getting late in the day possibly. I sat on the bed my stomach rumbling as I hummed to myself. I focused on the lullaby rather than the hunger knowing I couldn't change my hunger. I didn't know how long I sat there but I was pulled from my thoughts as Saul stepped into the room. My eyes widened as he rushed to the bars.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered as he picked the lock. He shot me a smirk but continued to work the lock. The door swung open and I stood up. My body screamed in pain the moment I was on my feet. I stumbled grabbing the bars to keep myself on my feet.

"Can you walk?" He asked as I met his soft blue eyes. He wrapped an arm around my waist helping me stay on my feet as we walked out of the cage. We stepped out in the cool night sticking close to the shadows as we made our way towards the barrier. "She's waiting just beyond the barrier." He said softly to me as I smiled weakly at him. It warmed my heart that he would risk his life to save mine but at the same time I felt like he should have left me there. Saving the school was more important than saving me. Pain burst through me as Saul and I dropped onto the grass. I glanced back to see Rosalind. She waved her hand using her magic to pull me to her. I tried to move but her magic kept me planted beside her.

"Trying to take what is mine," Rosalind said caressing my cheek in a possessive display of affection while Saul got to his feet. He stared between Rosalind and I calculating his next move.