Ch. 28

After I had changed into the jeans and white shirt I brushed my hair before I returned to the main room of my mother's suite.

"Do you and dad have separate suites?" I asked her just now realizing I hadn't seen any sign he lived here.

"When school is in session we have our own suites. That way if the specialist side of the school has an issue he is right there," she said as I nodded.

"Don't you miss him?" I asked confused how they could stay apart all year.

"I do but we both made a choice to take up being in charge and being close to our students is one of those responsibilities," she said simply. I gave a small nod but still wasn't sure how I felt about it. "It's not like I never see your father during the year. We see each other every day for extended periods we just don't share a suite."

"Oh," I said as she smiled at me. "What about during the summer?" I asked as she laughed.

"We have a house on the grounds," she said as my eyes widened.

"Really?" I asked as she nodded.

"I can show you sometime," she said before she stood up. "Now that you are dressed we should go get breakfast."

"Okay," I agreed though I was honestly terrified to be around all the students right now. I knew they would stare at me and whisper about me. I hated when people did that.

"Do you want me to give you a burst of my magic while we walk there?" She asked but I quickly shook my head. It was better for me if I just got used to it. She frowned but didn't argue with me. Instead of arguing she slipped her arm around me before we exited the suite. We walked in silence through the halls though every student we passed had turned to their friends lowering their voices. It annoyed me that students couldn't just mind their own business but instead decided to gossip about mine.

We stepped into the cafeteria and I headed for the sausage piling it on my plate before grabbing a few pancakes and eggs. Then I grabbed some orange juice before following my mother to the table where my father was sitting with Luna and Ben. I took the seat closest to my dad. I felt bad that he basically had been shut out and ignored since I got back. I put my head on his shoulder as a silent way to apologize for my emotional state yesterday which caused him to leave reluctantly. He smiled his arm going around my waist while he looked to my mother. He could see how exhausted she was and his blue eyes filled with questioning. I guessed Luna and Ben didn't tell him about my magic yet.

"Dad," I said softly as he looked down at me. I pulled away so I could turn my head toward him directly. "I don't have magic anymore." His eyes turned soft as he took a sharp breath.

"It's okay. You don't need it," he said wrapping his arms around me. While he held me he shared a look with my mother and it was obvious they were going to discuss the issue more fully. He released me and I tried my best to smile reassuringly before I turned back to my food. I ate it without saying much while the adults' eyes darted from me to each other as if coming to some conclusion together about my lack of magic.

"Headmistress Dowling, Headmaster Silva," Stella greeted them before her eyes fell to me. "Can I borrow Brielle for a second?" She asked her eyes lingering on me. I saw the tension in both my parents but they agreed despite that fear of losing me again.

"I'll find you guys after," I told them firmly kissing both their cheeks before I walked off with Stella. Stella kept eyeing me from the corner of her eye as we walked side by side towards the Winx Suite. When we arrived inside the suite the whole group snapped their eyes towards us. Musa's eyes flashed magenta as her jaw dropped open.