Part 23

"Ready to go?" I looked into the room to see Ariana sitting on the bed. Staring out of her head. All of our baggage was downstairs and the dogs too. "Babe?" I called out and she blinked a couple of times before looking at me. "Sorry, I just zoned out." She stood up and tried to walk past me, but I grabbed her hand and kept her close. "Everything's okay?" I asked. She was avoiding eye contact which she never does. "I'm just a bit tired." She said quietly before kissing my cheek and walking away.

I watched her small figure disappear on the stairs and let out a tired sigh. Am I doing the right thing? Is she mad at me for something? What did I do?

All these questions kept running through my mind since yesterday and it just scares me.

*on the jet*

We were sitting opposite each other. She was mostly on her phone and sometimes looking out of the window. We didn't talk, or if we did it was work-related. I honestly was very anxious about the situation. I was trying to distract myself with some writing, but the silence was killing me. I threw my notebook on the table and the loud sound made her jump a bit. "Sorry..." I murmured. She just glanced at me for a second before turning away again. I kept looking at her trying to catch her eyes but nothing. I grabbed my laptop and decided to watch a movie alone since she was clearly not very social towards me, to say the least.

I put on one of my favorite movies hoping it would make me feel a bit more relaxed. I got comfortable in my seat, placing a pillow under my head, and covered myself with a fluffy blanket. I pressed play and waited for the start.

30 minutes into the movie I was kind of zoned out and my eyes were closed. Seconds later I heard a camera click. I opened one eye to see Ari holding up her phone and redness flushing her face. Closed my eyes and sighed. "I thought you weren't interested in me," I said. "I've never said that." She said with almost an annoyed tone. "Well, you made it seem like you do," I told her, finally opening my eyes and stopping the movie. "What did I do? Because all day you've been ignoring me very much or giving me the cold shoulder." I sat up straight, trying to look as tough as I could even though I hate arguments. "I told you I was tired. You did nothing." She said. "Ariana you speak to me all day long, even if you're tired as fuck. Tell me what I did wrong and I'll fix it!" I said and she looked at me very angrily. "Why can't you just understand that you did nothing wrong. Not everything is your fault. It's me! I feel fucking bad for making you feel like shit because of Mac and my stupidity. I love you and I know I'm hurting you with that." She said... kind of yelled but whatever. I didn't know what to say because it's true. It did hurt me, but she can't help it, can she?

I didn't say a word, I just put my head back on the pillow and looked out of the window. I could feel her eyes on me. I know she wanted me to react in some kind of way but I really couldn't... I know we would bump into this issue but wouldn't have thought this early.

The plane ride was quiet from that moment. I turned off the computer and it was in full silence. Our little movements were the only sound. Both of us were watching the sky as we passed the clouds. Soon my eyes started to feel heavy and I fell asleep, seconds later.

*Ariana's POV*

I was just staring at her while she was sleeping peacefully. I hate yelling, especially when it's someone I love. I'm doing exactly what I did with Pete and it's just killing me. I love her to death and everything is perfect except the fucking baggage that I keep dragging behind me. It was so irresponsible to jump into this. And I know she knows it too. Since yesterday, we just shifted away like... I don't know. Like ghosts.

Y/N was sleeping for a couple of hours but then I saw her hand flinch. At first, I thought it was a one-time thing and didn't pay much attention to it, but then she did it again and again. After a few seconds, I realized she's having a nightmare. She's never done this and it honestly made me a bit worried.