Chapter 19: The Veritas

LISA POV

"Wait, what," I stuttered.

"Lisa, he's dead," Mrs. Jeon cried. "My baby boy is dead."

"But~

"Lisa, he was diagnosed with cancer when he was in the hospital," she explained. "The doctors explained that it was incurable and that he would have about 1 week to live."

"W~Wait, that doesn't explain the women I saw last week with him at the amusement park," I said.

"Lisa, that was his personal assistant, Dr. Follden. She was there with us when we heard the news about his cancer. She agreed to be with Timothy for the rest of the days he's lived on. I think that's why you saw them both at the amusement park," she said.

My mind was now racing. I wanted to believe that it wasn't real; this was somehow just an illusion. But I knew that was going to hurt me in the long run. I cried as more tears formed in my eyes.

"I'm sorry, baby," I mumbled.

"Oh Lisa," Mrs. Jeon brought me into her embrace and cried with me.  

I don't know how long we were hugging each other, but it was a while. It seemed like the tears won't stop as wiping the droplets off my face just caused me to form more tears in my eyes. 

"Lisa, darling," Mrs. Jeon said, still holding onto my hands.

"Y~Yes," I stuttered.

"We plan to have Timothy's funeral this Saturday; we would be delighted for you to come and give your condolences," Mrs. Jeon asked me.

"Yes, I would love to," I replied.

She brought me into her embrace again as we mourned for the rest of the day. 

THE FUNERAL

Mrs. Jeon sent me the address to the church that they will be having their funeral. When I got there, I walked out wearing a black dress covered in a black coat. Inside it was most of his family, Mrs. Jeon, Mr. Jeon, and maybe his cousins. All of them gathering around the casket, saying their goodbyes. 

*Mrs. Jeon realizes Lisa is here*

"Lisa, you're here," she went up to greet me.

"Yeah, I made it," I said.

"Thank you for coming; this means a lot to my family," she said.

"Oh, no problem," I replied.

"Lisa, you can go see Timothy before we start the program," Mrs. Jeon pointed to the open casket upfront.

I really wanted to see Timothy one last time. But I don't think I could handle seeing his dead body. That's funny, the one opportunity I get to see him. I'm free of my will; I can do anything. And yet, I choose not to. 

"Umm.....I don't think I can handle that," I stuttered.

"Lisa, you don't have to see him if it's too hard for you to handle," Mrs. Jeon said.

"Thank you, I think I'll just take my seat in the rows," and then I left.

As I took my seat, more and more people began entering the church. Eventually, the program started, and we opened the funeral with a prayer. Once the prayer was over, we sat back, and then it started. His father opened up by saying a few words, then his cousins. We ended the program with Timothy's mother saying a speech.

"As a child, we learn and prepare that we will eventually lose our mothers. But no mother is ready to lose their child," she opened up.

My mind goes blank as her speech goes on. Reminiscing the good times I had with Timothy. I cried during Mrs. Jeon's speech as it was the longest one, and well, she's been very kind to me. Anyway, as she ended her speech, a group of people closed the casket and carried it to a car out of the church. 

"Lisa," Mrs. Jeon said. "Follow us."

"Oh, okay," I said and followed her.

The group got up from their seats and began walking the distance to somewhere.

"Where are we going," I asked.

"The grave, this will the last time I say goodbye to my son," Mrs. Jeon said.

We both held tightly, walking all the way to the graveyard. Finally, when we got there, a crowd waited as the people carried Timothy's coffin. Already, I heard the sobbing of people as the people were lowering his body into the earth. I, too, was sobbing in grief. One by one, people placing roses on his coffin before, finally, his coffin was all the way lowered. Next, the people began putting the dirt back into the ground and covering it in soil. Finally, the finishing act, placing his tombstone above where he was buried. 

TIMOTHY JEON

A LOVING SON

After that, people began leaving one by one. For me, I stayed with Mrs. Jeon and Mr. Jeon as we were the only ones left at his grave. 

"Thank you, Lisa, for staying here with us," Mrs. Jeon said. 

I nodded as I slowly walked away and left the graveyard. The parents need some time alone. In the background, I could hear more sobbing as Mrs. Jeon cried.

"Oh, my son," she cried.

After that, I walked back to the church alone and drove home. And that was it. As soon as I entered my house, I placed my bag down and cried myself. The makeup, running my eyes, but you know what, I don't care. I don't care about anything anymore.