The Highschool Experiment

Title: The Highschool Experiment
Author: MooBooks
Site: Fanfiction.net
Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13342324/1/The-Highschool-Experiment

___________________

Annabeth Chase and Percy Jackson were on two different ends of the popularity spectrum.

It was common knowledge to everyone that attended Goode High. Percy, an attractive, popular, swimmer who was friends with everyone and at the top of the social hierarchy, versus Annabeth, a smart, yet pretty, new girl who would spend her days in the library and only talked to a couple of people. Neither of the two had ever been seen to have one conversation, and were presumed to ignore the existence of each other.

However, the entire school seemed to be completely wrong. Because Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase were not in fact on the opposite ends of any spectrum, they were dating, and very much in love.

But nobody was allowed to know.

It all started when Annabeth transferred to Goode. Before she could even approach her boyfriend, a nice young girl named Julia had swooped her up and taken her into her loving arms. Julia refused to let Annabeth approach that crowd – more specifically the swimmers and their popular friends – because she didn't want the sweet, new, blonde girl to get corrupted.

And while Annabeth knew about Percy, and Julia would never stop gushing about him – "He's the nice one, he's the cute one, he's by far the cutest boy at school"- Annabeth decided to have some fun.

So when Percy saw her in the hall, and she knew he was about to cause a scene, she ran down a practically deserted hallway, only for Percy to follow soon after, and she explained her plan.

"Wise Girl, you've come all the way here and you want to pretend we don't know each other?" He asked annoyed.

"Think about it. It'll be fun, just to see how we could do. Besides, I'm living in New York now, we can see each other at any time, other then at school." Percy had sighed, still unsure. "And, you're mister popular seaweed brain, I don't wanna be 'your trophy.'" Percy looked uncomfortable at that.

"You know you'd never be-" Annabeth smiled then, knowing she was winning the fight.

"But they don't know that. I love you, Percy, but just do this for me?" And so Percy complied, not without a grumble, and they shared their first – and only – kiss on school property before leaving in opposite directions.

Annabeth left that space with one wild thought – this would be fun.

And it wasn't just for fun, Annabeth was beginning to feel a little too dependant on her boyfriend. Sure, they fought in two wars together and had literality gone through hell together, but there was one thing Annabeth would never allow herself to do.

Which was becoming too reliant on someone else. It was her fatal flaw – her pride, and yet, Percy felt like her entire world.

Therefore, if she had the opportunity, to prove she didn't need him, she would take it. Her love for Percy Jackson be damned.

So when she saw him sitting with his friends, it was hard for her not to spare him a glance, and she knew he was fighting the urge to stare right back at her. Watching him laugh, and talk, and talk to other girls who would approach him to see if they've got a romantic chance would send her spiraling, almost, because every time someone tried something, Percy was quick to shut it down.