pierce my heart and make it last

Title: pierce my heart and make it last
Author: annabetncnase
Site: Archive of Our Own
Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/18900841

___________________

It was a Saturday morning, and Percy and Annabeth were hanging out at his apartment when he asked the question.

“What if I got my ears pierced?”

Percy didn’t mean it as a serious question. He’d noticed Alex from the Hephaestus cabin had done it and he thought it looked pretty cool, but he wasn’t actually considering doing it.

Annabeth eyed him for a couple of seconds, eyebrows raised.

“I think you should.”

He wasn’t actually considering doing it until she said that.

“Wait. Seriously?”

“Yeah. I mean, it would match your whole skater guy… aesthetic.”

“Um, thanks?”

Annabeth blushed, much to Percy’s liking.

“Shut up. I mean it would look cute on you.”

And that’s all it took to get Percy to decide to get his ears pierced. And as if that wasn’t impulsive enough, he decided to go one step further.

“You should do it too. We could both get them pierced, it could be, like, a couple thing.”

Wow. Wow.

Nice job, Jackson, he told himself. See, the thing was: being with Annabeth made him kind of irrational. He didn’t want to be too intense and scare her away with all his stupid feelings but sometimes something extremely cheesy and dumb like that would jump out before he could stop it. Like he didn’t overdo it enough by taking her to Paris on their one month anniversary, but gods, he thought she’d like it so much it didn’t even occur to him that he might have been getting ahead of himself until the next day. She seemed to love the trip, though, so at least he got away with that extreme display of affection.

But maybe this one would be it. This one would must have weirded her out. Hey, Annabeth, we’ve been dating for less than two months, but how about we poke permanent holes into our bodies to represent our very recent relationship?

“Percy, that’s a very stupid idea-”, Annabeth started.

He froze.

“-let’s do it.”

An hour later, the two demigods found themselves shopping for earrings.

“I cannot believe you’re doing this without telling your mom.”

“Uh, excuse me, but I don’t remember you telling your dad either.”

“Right. Even if I showed up at my house with my hair dyed black he wouldn’t notice, so I don’t think he’ll mind if I get my ears pierced.”

Annabeth ended up picking out a pair of earrings shaped like books, and Percy chose plain black ones. He offered to pay for her, which earned him a smack because you don’t have to and it was my idea anyway, Seaweed Brain.

“Okay, let’s do this. Shall we get in line?” Percy motioned towards the group of about five people, all of them teenagers, waiting to get their ears pierced.

“Are you kidding me?” Annabeth asked. “You want to get our ears pierced at a Claire’s?”

“That’s not a very nice thing to say in front of a bunch of people who are about to get their ears pierced at a Claire’s,” he stage whispered. “Also, why wouldn’t we?”