Goodbye, Love

Title: Goodbye, Love
Author: MaryaDmitrievnaLikesSundays
Site: Archive of Our Own
Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/26037547?view_adult=true

_____________

Nico didn’t want to search for Cupid.

In his opinion, Love had done more than enough to ruin his life. It had cost him friends, a father, a mother, a place in the universe. The last thing he wanted to do was look in the face of the man who destroyed his world and beg.

And he certainly didn’t want to do it right in front of Percy, who had come along with him. His heart pounded in a way that made him feel sick at the thought of relenting to whatever Cupid decided to tell Percy.

But that was his only option. They needed an army, and only an army of the undead would comply.

You must face the God of Love. He hoped Favonius was bluffing. He knew, though, that he wasn’t.

The ground started with to shake beneath his feet, and he drew his sword as Percy clicked Riptide into action.

So.

Against his will, Nico gasped. He turned to see the source of the voice, but no one was there.

You come to claim the scepter.

Nico swallowed his fear, but couldn’t help flinching when Percy pressed his shoulders into Nico’s back.

”Eros!” Percy yelled, holding Riptide aloft. “Or, er, Cupid! Whichever! Where are you?”

Cupid laughed, and the sound grated down Nico’s spine like knives.

Where you least expect me, Cupid answered. As Love always is.

Nico yelped as an invisible force slammed into Percy, tossing him down a set of stairs. Nico’s heart jumped, and he scrambled down the stairs. Thankfully, he saw Percy shakily rising, and let out a breath of relief.

”You alright?” He called from the base of the stairs, not daring to come any closer.

”Yeah,” Percy said, though his voice was strained. “Just got thrown across street.”

Nico felt Cupid’s presence rush past him and into the basement, sending a chill up his spine.

Did you expect me to play fair? Cupid laughed, a malicious sound. I am the god of Love. I am never fair.

Nico knew that. He knew better than anyone that none of this was close to fair.

He was so deep in his own regret that he didn’t notice the arrow materializing out of thin air and streaking towards his chest in a deadly arc. His eyes widened, and suddenly Percy was there, pushing him away and deflecting the arrow with the flat of his sword.