Sober

Title:Sober
Author: Reincarnations
Site: fanfiction.net
Link: https://m.fanfiction.net/s/13040842/1/Sober

___________________

THERE WAS NO MISTAKE.

Thalia Grace—daughter of Zeus, lieutenant of the Hunters of Artemis—had a problem that she couldn't control. She swore to herself that she would never do this when she was younger. She grew up with her mother, who was worse than anyone Thalia could imagine. Her mother's problem grew with each passing day, even more so after the birth of her baby brother Jaso-

Thalia held back a sob as she leaned her head against the cabin wall. She had trapped herself in Cabin One of Camp Half Blood for what felt like years, but was merely a handful of days. A few year-round campers have tried to speak with her. Nothing worked. Some considered having Annabeth snap her out of it again, but none wanted her to make the travel from New Rome for something they could surely fix. Besides, she would be coming to camp in a couple more days.

She couldn't say, think, or hear her baby brother's name without getting into a hysterical fit.

Her brother, the one she finally reunited with after so many years, was killed when he helped the mortal Apollo on his quest. Those who participated in that portion of the long quest claimed Jas-her brother knew either he or his ex-girlfriend were supposed to be killed. He loved Piper McLean so much, he willingly let himself be killed so she could live.

I got no excuses
For all of these goodbyes
Call me when it's over
'Cause I'm dying inside

No one knew about Thalia's oath except for one person. They had only known each other for a couple days at most when she revealed her secret. He claimed he would help to keep her word. They were only twelve years old at the time, but it didn't make it any less meaningful.

That person was Luke Castellan, her old friend and the closest thing she had to a love. He too was killed and wrongfully taken away from her. In the end, he broke his promise—

So, she broke hers.

Thalia realized—after looking at the scary number of empty bottles which surrounded her—that her problem was a thousand times worse than her mothers could ever be. This was only the third—or was it the fourth? —day back at camp, yet there was enough to fill half a liquor store.

That's right.

Thalia Grace, the daughter of the woman who died by drunk driving, had a drinking problem.

Wake me when the shakes are gone
And the cold sweats disappear
Call me when it's over
And myself has reappeared

When the news about his death reached her, Thalia didn't know what to do. She mourned more than what was considered healthy. She took a leave of absence from the Hunters for what was supposed to be a month. Thalia informed the group back in March, but now it was close to the end of December, which meant nine months has passed.

This wasn't the first time this happened. This was the third time she has had a binge drinking fiasco. The first time, she had somebody buy a couple cases of beer for her a couple days after her brother's death while she drank in a sleezy motel room in New York. Thalia stayed for a good two weeks, periodically having strangers buy her more.

Annabeth Chase, her dearest and oldest friend, discovered Thalia's actions when she caught a woman giving her a case. She followed Thalia to her motel room and confronted her. Thalia burst into tear and incoherent words turned into sobs. Annabeth stayed to keep an eye on her.