The Flowers That You Pick

Title: The Flowers That You Pick
Author: 4Eirlys
Site: Archive of Our Own
Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/27566191

If you think I am posting too much angst it may or may not be because I was binge reading the tag Emotional Hurt/Comfort with the filter Annabeth Chase/Percy Jackson

_______________

After the Twelve Olympians repaired their thrones if they needed fixing, checked to see if everything in their domain was satisfactory and that there were no immediate casualties that needed to be seen to, a cavalier like atmosphere on Mount Olympus reigned. The immortals wandered through the huge crowds that had gathered, mingling with demigods, satyrs, dryads and nymphs alike as all drank nectar. Ambrosia too, was in plentiful supply, and often a poorly concealed worried Godly parent could be seen hovering surreptitiously near groups of demigods, unobtrusively attempting to keep a close eye on the amount of ambrosia consumed and the healing benefit it wrought.

Many tearful reunions were witnessed, such as when Juniper and Grover ran to each other, before G-Man broke down over the number of nature spirits that had been lost. As Lieutenant of the Hunt, Thalia almost collapsed with relief when she found out that most of the Hunters had survived, though there were a few who had serious injuries and some had fallen in battle. The children of Ares had uncharacteristic looks of guilt and shame on their faces as they attempted to apologise for their pride, before being accepted into heartfelt hugs from the other campers. Those that had fought on the other side stood alone, bearing their discomfort as a shield against the jovial atmosphere until a sibling greeted them warmly and they were accepted back into the fold. There was still awkwardness and a difference of opinion, but it was a start.

Godly parents carefully checked each and every one of their children, the usually concealed worry plain to see on their faces and those that had been unclaimed suddenly found themselves with a large number of siblings. The unhappy and angry expressions they bore finally melted away, revealing carefree expressions that Percy had not seen adorn their visage for a long time.

Many people came to congratulate the son of Poseidon, with some of the lesser and slightly more down to earth Gods taking Percy aside to thank him quietly over his treatment of their children, regardless of what side they were on. The only Big Twelve immortal that he spoke to was Hades, who thanked him for gaining respect in the eyes of his siblings. But even he, like the rest of the Big Twelve, held a knowing glint in his eyes as he saw him and several times Percy would see the other Gods and Goddesses watching him from out of the corner of his eye, smirking as if they knew something he didn't.

Speaking of Gods, Percy ducked as he caught a glimpse of a tall, raven haired man with electric blue eyes looming over the crowd who was scanning the people around him, searching for someone. Quickly, the Son of Poseidon pushed his way past several Satyrs that were slightly tipsy, judging by their dance moves and insistence on flirting with the less than amused Hunters. Though none had retaliated violently. Yet. But Percy didn't concern himself with the Satyrs, and didn't bother to apologise in his desperation to escape. He was in no mood to play nice and meet Heracles, the apparent greatest hero of them all.

Stepping out of the throne room, he did not stop to relish the cool breeze which met him, though he was grateful to it all the same. Picking a path at random which led away from the noise and the light, he slightly offered up a thanks when he realised that it led to a balcony which overlooked Mount Olympus.

He wanted peace.

He needed to see the stars.

The Son of Poseidon stood in front of the railings which marked the edge of the balcony, his back unusually ram rod straight as he tilted his head back. Directing his gaze to the night sky, he let his eyes wander across the constellations. They gazed back, deliciously cool and indifferent in their reception to him.