It's not unrequited if it's real love

Title: It's not unrequited if it’s real love
Author: ziniviniz
Site: Archive of Our Own
Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/27330601

__________________

Percy glanced at the clock to his right and inwardly groaned. He still had another hour before his shift ended. His friends were going out to a party tonight but he had declined since he was a pretty broke college senior and he seriously needed some cash. Plus he wasn't that fond of parties, drunk people making out in random places, fights breaking out, music that was way too loud and the entire place reeking of alcohol. Percy despised alcohol, he swore to never even touch it after his ex-stepfather's doings.

As his thoughts continued to swarm his head, he didn’t notice a head of blonde curls walk through the door and enter the cafe. The cafe was mostly empty tonight, only a man sitting in a booth in the corner furiously typing away at his laptop, so the girl didn’t have to wait in line.

She approached the counter and cleared her throat to get Percy’s attention.

“Um, hi” the girl said.

As Percy turned around, the first thought that went through his head was ‘holy shit she’s pretty’. Percy knew there were many cute girls around his campus, some even flirted with him, he only knew that because Jason had heard the interaction and told him. None of those girls ever really caught his eye, but this girl was stunning. He felt as though he could look at her forever.

Wait a minute, that sounded incredibly creepy.

“Umm, hello” the girl sounded incredibly annoyed. He could tell she was annoyed by her impatient tone and the fact that she was rapidly snapping her fingers in front of his face. Percy shook his head in hopes of making his mind get rid of thoughts about how pretty the girl in front of him was.

“ Hello, w-welcome to The Grindhouse, what can I get for you”, Percy said, his voice shaking ever so slightly, sue him, he was talking to Aphrodite herself.

Now that he looked up at her, and made eye contact, he realized her eyes were a fascinating shade of grey. Not just a dull grey, a stormy grey, that looked as though she could calculate your every move in a fight. Not that Percy wanted to fight her or anything, she looked as though she could snap Percy in half, within seconds, and Percy himself was pretty fit himself, years of swimming does that to a person. He could seriously look at her eyes forever.

Woah, incredibly creepy once again.

As the girl recited her order of a pretty complex coffee, and a cheese croissant, Percy realized that they looked very similar in terms of age. He truly wanted to get to know her, what her name was, how many siblings she had, what she looked when she woke up.

Okay, that sounded extremely creepy. He realized he would be able to fulfill one of his wishes due to company policy.
“Okay, can i get a name for order?” he asked timidly, even though excitement flooded through his stomach that he was going to get her name.

“Sure, Annabeth”.

Percy smiled to himself in secrecy because he would have looked like a creepy stalker if he had smiled right at her just after she had given him her name.

He turned around and got to work, making sure he would get her order completely correct. Annabeth. That was a very unique name, but it sounded quite familiar to him, he has no idea why. He had met a few Anna’s and Beth’s, but never an Annabeth.

Once he was done, he called out her name and she came to collect her order.

“So, did i get your coffee order right or what?” He asked casually, not intending to sound flirty, for all he knows she could have a boyfriend. Or girlfriend, plus he doesn’t know how to flirt. She amusedly raised an eyebrow and pulled the cup towards her mouth to take a sip.