What Matters

Title: What Matters
Author: Just Another Wise Girl
Site: Fanfiction.net
Link:  https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10003625/1/What-Matters

____________________

Percy Jackson's life was in one word, okay.

It wasn't the greatest life, but an okay life nonetheless. He lived with his mother, Sally, in New York and went to school in ordinary Goode High. His apartment was small, ugly, and cramped, but Percy never complained. His mother was a self-employed caterer, so they weren't very wealthy people.

Percy helped his mom in her catering business as often as he could with his cousins Thalia Grace and Nico di Angelo; who were also his only friends. You see, Percy was never the most popular guy at school. Hell, you could say that he was literally at the bottom of the social ladder. He was invisible. Unknown. A nobody. Except to his cousins, who were on the same boat as he was.

Percy didn't really care about social statuses anyways. He didn't care that he was too poor to even afford gum at times. He didn't care about being noticed by girls, having the latest technology, or having multiple friends. All he cared about was his family and doing everything he could to take care of them.

Percy's father left once Percy was out of the womb. His mother did everything in her power to raise him as best she could, but being only nineteen with a newborn child in New York was extremely difficult. So ever since Percy could remember, he had been the man of the house. Taking care of his mom and his cousins (who also had many family troubles) was never an easy task, but it had become a daily routine.

One day, when Percy came back from another long and grueling day at school with Thalia and Nico, his mother greeted them with an ecstatic shriek and bone crushing hugs.

"You will not believe who just called!"

"Zac Efron?" Both boys rolled their eyes at Thalia's assumption. "What? A girl can dream can't she?"

"Who was it mom?" Percy asked. His mother was beaming and jumping up and down with so much excitement Percy thought she was going to burst.

"Athena Chase!"

"Who dat?" Nico questioned, already with a mouthful of fudge brownies.

Thalia slapped him upside the head. "Don't you read the papers? She's only the richest politician in the state! Word on the street is that she bought this super expensive apartment here in the city."

"Exactly," Sally confirmed "and she called me today to cater her housewarming party this Saturday."

"No offense mom," Percy stated "but why would she call you?" Whenever Sally was able to obtain a catering job, it was usually for kids birthday parties or other unimportant events. She has never had a client this big before.

"Well remember the Tanaka children's birthday party we catered a few weeks ago?" Percy remembers those kids being spoiled brats. Their mother, Aphrodite, was the most wealthy client they've ever catered for. She was known across the city for her expensive beauty products. Percy shuddered at the memory.

"How could I forget!?" Nico exclaimed "I was covered with glitter and pink ribbons by the end of it. It took my over a week to get that stuff out of my hair."

"Well apparently Aphrodite is a close friend of Athena's and recommended us to her. Thankfully it isn't a large crowd so we'd only be serving around fifty people. But she said that if we do well, we can be her official dessert caterers! Isn't that exciting!?"