everything got shattered in the dark

Topic: everything got shattered in the dark
Author: BnessZ
Site: Archive of Our Own
Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/24315019

____________________

No one says anything when Percy moves into Annabeth's cabin after the first night back from on the ship.

One of the first things Percy had done after Reyna and Nico left was ask Leo to make them nightlights. Brighter than most, he'd specified, and blue, like looking at the sun from underwater. Leo had many questions, mostly about blue everything and why they needed to be so bright, but something in Percy's eyes was so terribly haunted that Leo just nodded mutely and set off to start crafting the lights.

He got them done in record time, handing them to the couple that same night as they stared at the stars. They thanked him, but the smiles didn't reach their eyes. Their cracked lips were strained when they looked at Leo.

Leo brushed it off. Everyone is exhausted, and he knows for a fact that Percy and Annabeth were only awake at that point from sheer willpower.

And, Leo thinks as the gut-twisting screams begin, fear.

When he pokes his head out the door, Leo sees that everyone has done the same. Jason and Frank, on watch, hover at the top of the stairs, eyes wide. Piper is taking a step forward when another door flies open and a blur crosses the hall, not even sparing a glance at any of them. The screams don’t stop, only hiccups and sobs. They’re filled with horror and pain; more pain than Leo thinks he can even imagine, and he’s had his fair share of pain.

The others all look at each other. All of them have nightmares, it comes with the territory, but this… Leo doesn’t even have the beginnings of a joke like usual. This is a mood that cannot be lightened.

“Annabeth.” The voice is loud, almost forced, as if Percy has been calling her name this entire time.

Leo shakes his head and focuses. How long has it been?

“Annabeth.” It’s broken, pleading. “We’re together.”

And then the screams stop, only to give way to a whimper that shouldn't pierce the silence quite as much as it does. “Percy?”

“Yeah.”

“S—Safe?”

There’s a bitter laugh and it reminds Leo so much of himself that it nearly knocks him over. “Never, but we’re— we’re not there anymore.”

The ship becomes quiet again. Tears glisten in Piper’s eyes and she walks, almost in a daze, into Hazel’s arms. Jason and Frank retreat back to the deck, whispering to each other. Leo can barely make out murmurs from Annabeth’s cabin now. Her light flickers on. Even Buford walks past, pauses at the door, and then continues on, silent.

Slumping back onto his bed, Leo remembers what Percy said earlier, I’m not ready to remember that place, and wonders if the real problem is that they aren't actually convinced they made it out.

Leo wonders if the two of them will ever actually leave Tartarus.

*

One morning, Annabeth has a bruise on her jaw and Percy is covered in scratches, and no one is brave enough to ask why.

*

It gets better.

Their appearance goes from corpse-like to just sleep deprived. Their sunken cheeks begin to fill out. Smiles are easier to pull out of them, eyes glistening more often than not. They jump at less noises and are able to hold their own when the ship gets attacked, though no one has suggested that they take watch yet. Even the night terrors seem to have quieted. The rest of the crew isn’t awoken every night anymore at least.