31- LOOK. AT. HER

(Song of the chapter: 'Cross Me' - Ed Sheehan ft. Chance the Rapper & PnB Rock)

BRANDON

I slid my tray on the table as I took the seat beside my friend.

"You should be training."

Rhys turned slowly. His blue eyes studied me.

I calmly met his gaze and held it.

It was weird eating lunch without Rhys. He'd explained to me that Avalon was feeling squirmy around him right now, so he needed to back away and give her space until she was comfortable again. I could understand the feeling since I regularly felt that way around people – but not Rhys.

His gaze might have been hard for others to hold, but I always found them comforting. Their deep blue reminded me of the sea, and I could imagine myself gently rocking back and forth amongst peaceful waves that matched Rhys's chill vibes whenever I stared at them.

It also helped that he also never said things he didn't mean. The words coming from his mouth always matched the look in his eyes. I didn't have to try and puzzle over what he actually meant because he didn't have a problem saying it. People online called Rhys 'rude' because of how blunt he could be, but I honestly found it soothing.

In fact, the one and only time I'd felt squirmy around Rhys had been so confusing to me. Even thinking about it still made my stomach twist up in knots.

"Why?" He finally replied, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I blinked.

I considered Rhys one of the smartest people I knew. That said, he could be kind of an idiot sometimes.

I turned the question back on him. "Don't you think you should be training? You're up against a guy who's on every sports team in the school. I know you work out, but he's got more stamina, and..."

The look on his face showed I wasn't really getting through to him. So I paused and tried to reorganize my thoughts.

"I know you see him as just some degenerate," I said, tapping a finger against the table, "but I think he's actually really dangerous. I... I looked into his eyes once and there was this... feeling, like liquid tar was running down my back." My fingers spasmed, betraying my anxiety.

Rhys still didn't look very concerned. "Yet even more proof that someone needs to punch the lights out of that fucker."

"Why don't you let me do it?"

My fingers danced to the tune of my desperation. "I wouldn't mind. I even want to. It wouldn't affect me, but you could hurt your hands and you need them. To paint..."

I finally made a breakthrough. Rhys's eyes started to look more solemn as he stared at me. I held still as he reached out a hand towards me.

"Don't worry about my hands, Brandon," he murmured, threading said hand through my hair.

The scrape of his fingers against my scalp seemed to make everything settle. My fingers stilled, and the next breath I took came easier.

I strained, wanting him to do it again.

He did. "And don't worry about me." The pads of his fingertips gently patted my head.

"I'll be fine."

I peered closely at him. Rhys didn't say things he didn't mean, and right now I could tell that he meant that. If he said he'd be fine, I'd just have to trust that he would be.

Still... "He's not coming near Avalon again," I said quietly.

Rhys's jaw clenched. "No, he's not."

I didn't need to look in his eyes to know he meant that too.