Chapter 7

It has been a week since Acelina's major slip-up. She can barely get anything down her throat during dinners with her parents and Marcus. During her days at work, she keeps fidgeting with her quills and has already ruined two. Acelina keeps expecting someone to jump out of thin air with accusations that could ruin her life. Possible lead to her death if her father hears them.

Acelina had told Haela during their conversation over the phone the other day. Her best friend had tried to calm her down but it hadn't helped much. Acelina has dialed Haela's number again when she returned from work earlier.

"I shouldn't be too worried if I were you, Acie."

Haela's voice cracks due to the connection. Acelina has wrapped herself in several blankets and buried herself in her bed.

"There is always a chance he could talk. Someone only has to offer him enough money."

"Then he talks. Blimey, Ace, what's the worst thing that can happen?"

It's a question Acelina had thought about already. Her father has always had a tight grip on the upbringing of his children. If one of them wouldn't behave the way he wanted or acted out, he would put them back in their place harshly. Although none of them would ever admit it, it has brought Cecilia, Edric, and Acelina closer together. Acelina still remembers the nights when Edric would come to her room after receiving a beating for misbehaving. She also remembers the pain of the punishments and shudders at the memories.

"Ace? Acie, are you still with me?"

"I am," Acelina answers, brought back to reality by Haela's voice, "I would rather not think about what will happen."

"I bet ol' Yaxley won't even listen to Weasley if he dares to come forward. Aren't he and his family considered blood traitors in your circle?"

Acelina nods before realising Haela can't see her.

"If something happens, you can always come live with me. We'll manage. You'll manage. Just like you have done the past ten years."

Haela hums and starts telling Acelina about her latest adventure to distract her. It helps, for just a moment, but Acelina keeps worried.

Percy Weasley isn't the only thing that has Acelina worried. She also worries about the Muggle-Borns who are still getting convicted by Umbridge. Most of the count transcripts don't pass Acelina's desk but she has managed to pressure one of the girls typing them out to let them be checked by Acelina. This way, she can change at least a few names. She can only hope she is helping at least a few people.

Umbridge doesn't seem to notice that some convicted Muggle-Borns don't make it to Azkaban. Or perhaps she doesn't comment on it. Lyra had told Acelina in confidence that she heard rumours that some Muggle-Borns had fled the country once it turned out their names weren't on the list to be transported to Azkaban. It seems like her attempts are not completely fruitless.

Acelina sees her next change when Umbridge announces she will be in court for the remainder of the morning. Acelina quickly snatches the stack of files from a desk of one of the workers when she walks past to inspect their work. This way, she can type out everything herself and change the names more easily. Umbridge her newest scribe is a boy who has recently graduated Hogwarts. He's barely older than Edric and Acelina pities the boy. His face was pale when he dropped off the transcripts the other day.

After the last name is changed, Acelina collects all the files and decides to bring them to the Post Office herself. This way someone else won't see the changed names. Right before she steps into the corridor, Acelina remembers Percy's words and casts a charm to keep the files together in case she bumps into anyone.