Chapter 31

A week passes where Acelina hadn't been to work. A week since her father chased her away from her childhood home. Acelina hadn't spoken to her parents. Edric had sent back a letter writing he was glad she was fine and safe. The note was short, but Acelina was happy her brother had responded. Her own letter hadn't been long either. She is terrified someone finds out where she is and tips off her father.

Acelina hasn't been to work since she started staying at Percy's flat. A part of her brain freaks out every time she thinks about it, but generally, Acelina doesn't care if she is fired or not.

At the safe house, everything goes by smoothly. With more free time on her hands than she knows what to do with, Acelina has started helping around the safe house. Margred and Hollie have been managing everything, but all help is appreciated. Acelina had become bored out of her mind the few days she spent locked inside Percy's flat. Percy himself goes to work normally – after all, nobody at the Ministry knows they know each other better than just co-workers. Percy is the only one remaining that can walk through the Ministry without getting arrested. He is their only pair of ears on the inside.

Haela had offered to beat up her father after hearing what happened. Acelina managed to calm her down, but Haela had realised that this war might cost someone their life if they didn't know how to defend themselves. The Curse Breaker had begun giving Acelina, Lyra, and Margred duelling lessons, teaching them how to protect themselves in case of an attack. Percy and Oliver already knew how to duel properly, which had surprised the women. After a bit of questioning, the two admitted to practising duelling back at Hogwarts to pass time.

Acelina's surprised stay at Percy's flat has been going smoother than she had thought. It is the first time Percy and her spend this much time around each other. Even though she wouldn't ever admit it out loud, Acelina hadn't slept so peacefully in the past year.

Ever since she was kicked out, Acelina has been careful with her public appearances. Her father has eyes everywhere and she doesn't need the Snatchers breathing down her neck. Today's visit to Gringotts' is the first time she has stepped foot in Diagon Alley since she was kicked out. With her head down, Acelina makes her way through the empty streets. She has her own vault with enough money to survive a while without the steady income from the Ministry, but it has been months since she last checked. The safe house has some unexpected expenses and Acelina doesn't like being surprised when it comes to money.

The two wizards guarding the entrance to Gringotts' look a bit shaken when Acelina approaches but scan her with their wands. One of them nods once the wand lights up green and Acelina is free to push open the grand doors to the bank.

Inside the bank, Acelina immediately notices the chaos among the goblins. Most of the high desks have been abandoned and when she is directed to one of the occupied desks, she notices how nervous the goblin is.

After handing her wand over for identification and telling the goblin the reason of her visit, she is informed that they are currently unable to check the vaults. When Acelina asks why, she gets a vague answer about maintenance.

A goblin rushes past with two wizards on their heels and Acelina hears one of the wizards say: "-never had this big of a security breach."

Acelina pales at the words and looks back to the goblin who is fidgeting with some coins. The goblin quickly assures her it was one of the deeper faults and that there is no need for Acelina to worry. She is told to return next week; the issue should be resolved by then.

Without any more information, Acelina is ushered back out of Gringotts'. As she walks down the steps, an uneasy feeling creeps up her spine. From down the street, coming somewhere out of Knockturn Alley, Acelina can hear commotion. Quickly, she draws up her hood, covering her face, and letting her wide slide into her hand. With a few steps, she hides in the shadow of a nearby alleyway.