Chapter 13

Sneaking through the Manor makes Acelina feel twelve again. When she too would sneak in and out of the Manor during the summer, meeting with Haela in one of the villages nearby. The entrance hall is abandoned and Acelina makes her way to her room without seeing anyone.

The door to her bedroom is unlocked and Acelina's heart stops. Slowly, she turns the doorknob, expecting one of her parents to wait for her in her room. Panic wells up and Acelina tries her hardest to find an explanation for her absence.

With a pounding heart, Acelina opens the door. At first glance, her room seems empty. Acelina is about to breathe out relieved when Reesey's heart pops up from under her bed. The sight startles Acelina and on instinct, she had her wand at the ready.

Reesey waves at her with the purple feather duster. Relief flows through Acelina and she quickly steps inside the room, closing the door behind her.

"You scared me, Reesey," she mutters as she tosses her bag on the cedar chest at the end of her bed.

"Reesey didn't mean to scare Ms Acelina. Sorry."

Acelina waves the apologizes away, heading for her closet. She grabs a purple dress that used to belong to her mother and makes a bee-line for the shower in her private bathroom.

The water performs miracles. Most of the nauseous feeling disappeared after the Pepperup Potion but the last bits disappear the longer Acelina remains in the shower. Her thoughts travel back to the fact that she ended up sleeping on a mattress with Percy. Acelina feels herself getting flustered.

She had felt so safe. Percy's arm had been loosely wrapped around her waist, nothing like the possessive grip Marcus has on her when they share a bed.

Unexpected touches had been a struggle for Acelina ever since she got engaged to Marcus. Haela was often an exception, only when she caught Acelina off guard would she flinch. Acelina didn't like being touched. Marcus's touches were tight, possessive, an attempt to keep her by his side. Yet she felt safe, protected with Percy's arm around her.

Acelina frowns as the water runs down her face.

"Ms Acelina?"

Reesey's voice rips Acelina out of her thoughts. There is a knock on the door. Acelina shuts off the shower and wraps a thick towel around herself before opening the door.

"Ms Cecilia has requested everyone in the parlour."

Acelina groans. Of course. She changes in peace, not bothered by the nervous behaviour of Reesey who is anxiously watching the clock. Her sister can wait. Or not. Acelina already has a headache and she isn't going to hurry. Once she is dressed, has her engagement ring back on her finger, and has her hair wrapped in a neat bun, Acelina makes her way downstairs to the parlour.

Her future brother-in-law is already waiting for her. She sends him a smile as she approaches. Adrian smiles back.

Inside the parlour are her parents and Marcus. They are sitting on one of the sofas near the lit fireplace. Her father is in discussion with Marcus while her mother is already sipping from a glass of wine. Acelina is debating whether she wants to sit in the armchair or beside Marcus when she spots the house-elf passing with a tray of food.

"Has everyone arrived?"

Cecilia's unmistakable voice sounds from the door when Acelina has just stuffed her mouth with some snacks. Adrian nods as he closes the door. Cecilia eyes Acelina annoyed.

Marcus appears out of thin air and wraps his arm around Acelina's waist. Not quite gently, he pushes her towards the sofas.

"Your sister has been waiting quite a while. What took you so long?" he hisses in her ear as they sit down.