Chapter 23

A stone-cold silence hangs in the air when Acelina enters the safe house. She is the last one to arrive and the others have already taken a seat. Every person sitting at the table looks devastated. But Margred looks the worst. Her hair that usually is nicely done is unkempt, her knuckles white as she grips one of the dishtowels far too tight. Lyra sits beside Margred but the other woman doesn't seem to realise she is there, staring at nothing while twisting the towel around and around.

Acelina takes a seat in between Haela and Percy. Her head has started spinning again, Hollie's screams echoing through her mind. Haela places her hand on Acelina's and squeezes it softly.

After another moment of silence, Percy takes a deep breath and starts: "As all of us have read, Poppy has been compromised."

Margred doesn't look up when Acelina starts describing what had happened in the Atrium. Her face grows even paler as Acelina recalls how Hollie was arrested. It's common knowledge the Death Eaters don't shy away from the Unforgivable Curses but it's different when it is someone you know that is getting hurt.

"Do we know what happened?" Oliver asks, finally looking up as well, "Is there a leak somewhere in our plans?"

Percy shakes his head, "I haven't been able to find out much, seeing I technically have no power within the Department of Magical Law, but it seems like they have built quite a solid case against her. Obstructing justice, association with known criminals, actively working against You-Know-Who and by definition the Ministry of Magic."

"How do they know all that? Known criminals, they must be talking about the Order, right?" Haela asks, tilting her head slightly as she looks at Percy, "You think it went wrong with the Order."

Before Percy has a chance to answer, Margred opens her mouth.

"How do we know it wasn't one of us?"

Her voice is laced with anger and her gaze shoot from Haela to Percy to end up on Acelina.

"How do we know it wasn't one of us that betrayed her?"

"She dealt with the Order all on her own. To protect us, herself, and the Order," Percy answers calmly.

Margred doesn't seem to hear him.

"It went wrong somewhere, otherwise my Hollie wouldn't be in some jail cell with Death Eaters guarding her like bloodthirsty dogs," her fist lands on the wooden table, "There are many places it could go wrong. Not only with the Order but also right here in this group."

"You are saying you think one of us sold Hollie out? None of us have something to gain from Hollie's capture."

Haela frowns, eyeing Margred. Oliver places his hand over Margred's fist.

"We trust the people in this group. It's no use if we become paranoid about ourselves. It has to be someone outside."

Margred's anger doesn't seem to lessen but she unclenches her fist and crosses her arms in front of her chest. Percy clears his throat and produces a small vial from one of his pockets. He places the vial carefully on the table in front of him.

They all eye the vial. The liquid inside seems clear and Acelina's eyes shoot to Percy.

"This might be a solution. It's Veritaserum."

"Where did you nick that from?" Haela asks, snatching the vial away and examining it.

"I... borrowed it. From the Ministry. Seeing it's very powerful, I also took the antidote."

Another vial is placed on the table.

Haela snickers and places the Veritaserum back on the table. "Borrowed implies you are planning on returning it. Are you?"