Chapter 35

Much to Acelina's relief, the interrogation of Edric goes by quickly. Mr Spindle – who is apparently doing this instead of Kingsley Shacklebolt, Acelina has a feeling this has something to do with the contact she and Kingsley had during the war – questions Edric for a few minutes. After him, the woman, Ms Nettle, asks a few questions of her own. Seeing there is nothing to convict Edric for, he is let go without any form of punishment. An Auror leads him to a bench on the opposite side of the room where Edric is meant to wait until the trial is over. Acelina is relieved her brother will not suffer the consequences of their father's actions.

"Next, Acelina Rosalita Yaxley."

The relief disappears as soon as Acelina stands up and makes her way to the chair. Like with Edric, the chains don't appear out of the armrests.

Spindle and Nettle regard Acelina for a moment before Spindle speaks: "You are Acelina Rosalita Yaxley, of number hundred four, Elm Hill, Warminster, Wiltshire?"

"Yes."

There is a slight shiver in her voice, but Acelina tries to keep it steady.

"You have been working as Personal Secretary to the Head of the Muggle-Born Registration Commission?"

"Yes," Acelina agrees, "I was transferred from my position as Senior Intern at the Improper Use of Magic Office last September."

The man nods but remains silent for a moment. Acelina starts to get nervous as the silence grows longer and longer.

"You see, Ms Acelina, it turns out you are a very interesting case," Spindle says finally, "When word got out that the Yaxley family would be on trial for their involvement with Voldemort, a lot of people came forward to volunteer as a character witness. Something not often seen with these cases. The people investigating your case at first thought the witnesses were here for your whole family, but it turned out they all were there for you."

Acelina frowns at the words. Sure, after Kingsley's suggestion, Acelina knew Percy had come forward as a character witness. She suspected he might have gotten the others involved. Percy hadn't mentioned more people becoming a character witness for her.

"There were some interesting people among your character witnesses, including, but not limited to, the Junior Assistant to late Minister for Magic Pius Thicknesse, two Curse-Breakers and the head-inventor for Gringotts's Wizarding Bank, three officials of the Improper Use of Magic Office – including the Head of the Office, Leonard Craft – and several more officials within the Ministry of Magic. Yet, that doesn't even begin to describe the full list," Spindle says as he seems to browse the list in front of him.

Acelina turns in her chair to see the spectators. Percy smiles proudly at her, and it dawns Acelina that every person she had met at the safe house has testified in order to save her name.

She is speechless when she turns back to Spindle. The man doesn't make her answer and asks: "Are you known as Mantis within the resistance circles?"

It takes her a moment before she is sure her voice won't break.

"Yes, I am."

Spindle nods and continues: "Is it true, Ms Acelina, that you forged almost two hundred personnel files from Muggle-Borns convicted by the Muggle-Born Registration Commission so they wouldn't be transported by Azkaban and thus giving them a chance to flee?"

At the man's words, someone gasps loudly. Acelina doesn't dare to face her parents, but she can see Edric from her seat. Her brother is staring at her with wide eyes and when she meets his eyes, he smiles proudly at her.

"That is correct," Acelina answers, turning back to Spindle.

Acelina can hear her mother's sobs behind her. Nettle browses through a file and asks: "How did you manage to forge those files?"