Chapter 32

The Great Hall is busing with students, all of which seem to have stepped straight out of bed. Acelina's gaze is immediately drawn to the Slytherin table where she finds both Edric and Draco. Both seem unharmed and Acelina lets out the breath she didn't realise she was holding in.

As Percy and Acelina walk towards the platform that houses the teacher table, Acelina looks up to the ceiling. The ceiling of the Great Hall is dark and scattered with stars, an ominous view that gives Acelina the creeps.

The members of the Order of the Phoenix are already standing on the platform and Percy and Acelina take place beside them. Acelina knows this is something the Order will take charge in. With her fingers entwined with Percy's, Acelina regards Professor McGonagall who clears her throat and starts speaking as soon as everyone has entered the hall. Her voice is stern but there is a hint of worry latched through it.

"The evacuation of the students will be overseen by Mr Filch and Madame Pomfrey. Prefects, when I give the world, you will organise your House and take your House-members in orderly fashion to the evacuation point."

Most of the younger students look terrified while the older students look ready to fight along the Order. A student from the Hufflepuff table raises to their feet and asks loudly, their voice echoing through the otherwise silent hall: "And what if we want to stay and fight?"

Their words make other students clap. From the corner of her eye, Acelina notices the Slytherin students staying silent.

"If you are of age, you may stay and help," Professor McGonagall nods.

Another voice pipes up: "What about our belongings? Our trunks, our owls?"

Students start whispering among themselves. Professor McGonagall shakes her head and answers: "We have no time to collect possessions. The important thing is to get all of you out of here safely."

A black-haired girl stands up from her seat at the Slytherin table and crosses her arms: "Where is Professor Snape?"

It dawns Acelina that the Potion Professor is the only one missing among the teachers. The Slytherin students begin whispering among themselves and Acelina meets Edric's eye.

"He has – to use the common phrase – done a bunk," McGonagall answers and cheers erupt from the Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw table. Some Slytherin students look angry while others, like Edric and Draco, look relatively relieved.

"We have already placed protection around the castle, but it is unlikely to hold for very long unless we reinforce it," the older witch continues.

A man enters the Great Hall and with a start, Acelina recognizes Harry Potter. The reason they are all here. Professor McGonagall ignores him and continues: "I must ask you to move quickly and calmly, and do as you Prefects-"

She is cut off by a voice echoing though the Great Hall. It's high-pitched, cold, and very clear, as if it is in Acelina's head. As she looks around, she can't seem to find the source.

"I know you are preparing to fight."

A few students scream and Acelina tightens her grip on Percy's hand.

"Your efforts are futile. You cannot fight me. I do not want to kill you. I have great respect for the teachers of Hogwarts. I do not want to spill magical blood."

A cold silence settles in the hall.

"Give me Harry Potter," the voice continues, "and you shall not be harmed. Give me Harry Potter and I shall leave the school untouched. Give me Harry Potter and you will be rewarded. You have until midnight."