Chapter 34

It's late in the afternoon when Acelina sees the three men entering the yard of the Burrow. Kingsley Shacklebolt is leading two wizards in Auror uniforms.

It has been a week since the Battle of Hogwarts, a week since Voldemort has been defeated, and the Wizarding community has slowly begun healing. A week since Acelina saw her parents and her brother. Edric had written to her twice to update her on the situation back home which had sounded grim. Her parents had been placed under Auror surveillance until the Ministry's trials to convict all remaining Death Eaters.

Acelina and Percy have been staying at the Burrow with the Weasley family. Both to recover – Acelina's back isn't fully healed yet – and partly, in Acelina's case, to hide. The Weasley households is a whole different family than the Yaxley's and it makes her smile.

After finishing folding the laundry Acelina had offered to do for Molly, Acelina levitates the basket and heads to the house. Molly has been busy the past few days and Acelina had offered to do some things as well.

She enters the house through the kitchen which is empty. There is commotion coming from the living room. Acelina places the basket with laundry on the wooden kitchen table. After a deep breath, she heads towards the living room.

When Acelina enters the living room, her attention is immediately drawn to the two Aurors standing in front of the large fireplace. The Weasley family is scattered over the sofa and several armchairs. Kingsley is staring out of the window facing the front yard and turns when Acelina enters. From his cloak, he takes an envelope and holds it out.

"You have been served, Ms Yaxley."

Acelina takes the envelope from him but doesn't open it immediately. Percy has stood up from his place on the sofa to stand at her side. They share a look before Acelina carefully opens the envelope and pulls out the letter written on Ministry writing parchment. Somewhere, Acelina knows exactly what the letter says, but reading the actual letter makes it real.

Percy is the first to speak, turning to Kingsley and the two Aurors. "This is outrageous. A trial? For what, exactly? Acelina hasn't done anything wrong."

The man looks like he is about to punch someone in the face. Acelina grabs his hand and squeezes it lightly. Percy relaxes slightly as he squeezes back.

"I worked for Umbridge at Muggle-Born Registration Commission. My father is well-known Death Eater Corban Yaxley who controlled the Ministry in Voldemort's name. It says right here that they want to put the whole family on trial," Acelina says, rereading the lines of ink, "I have no objections to it. After all, it is understandable. Besides, I have nothing to hide. They can hang out all my dirty laundry, but nothing is punishable by law."

Her words do little to calm Percy down. Acelina turns to Kingsley and frowns, "I am only questioning whether Edric should be on trial – seeing he was not involved in anything for as far as I know."

Kingsley looks pained. "I understand your concern, but the Ministry has decided to put whole families that were connected to Voldemort on trial. If your brother doesn't have anything to hide, he won't be punished or convicted, and nothing will show up on his record."

"I will not let them do this to you, Acelina. You didn't do anything wrong," Percy argues, looking between Acelina and Kingsley, "For what it is worth, you deserve the same treatment as the Order members."

There is venom laced through his voice. Acelina knows it has been bothering Percy for a while now. Since the Battle of Hogwarts, the members of the Order of the Phoenix – the ones that survived – have been hailed as war heroes. As the safe house is slowly emptying, more and more people within the Wizarding community learn about what Acelina, Percy, and the others have done. Haela visited yesterday and had told Acelina about the job offer she had received at the Auror's office.