Chapter 21

A week later, Acelina, Hollie, and Haela are getting ready to meet Kingsley. Haela had volunteered to come with them. Percy doesn't want to risk running into his father so he won't accompany them. Acelina knows it's hard for him to see his father at the Ministry.

Things between Acelina and Percy haven't changed much. They try their hardest to act like nothing happened but the others have noticed something is going on. Acelina can't look at Percy for more than a minute before her heart squeezes painfully in her chest. Percy himself can't look Acelina in the eyes for longer than a second.

"Earth to Acie! Come in, Acie."

Acelina startles, looking up to see her best friend smirking at her. Hollie chuckles. Acelina rolls her eyes at them before grabbing her wand. She has cast a disguise charm on herself, not knowing what to expect. Her father is a powerful man with connections Acelina can't even think about. There is no being too careful.

"Are you planning to go to war, Haela?"

Hollie eyes the Curse-Breaker up and down. Haela is fully dressed in protective gear, fully equipped as if she is going on a Curse-Breaker job. Hollie is still wearing her Ministry uniform while Acelina is wearing the emerald green dress she has worn all day. She has switched her heels for flats.

"I look professional. And like someone you don't want to mess with."

Haela crosses her arms.

"Where are we meeting Kingsley?" Hollie asks as she flattens the fabric of her jacket.

"The coordinates point to a spot somewhere over those hills," Haela points over Acelina's shoulder. Acelina checks her watch.

"We could head there and scout out the place before Kingsley arrives."

They are standing in the middle of a field. The high grass reminds Acelina of the New Forest and as they climb up the hill, she is glad she isn't wearing heels. Haela is upfront, her wand at the ready.

When they are almost at the top of the hill, Acelina hears Haela curse. A hand stops her from climbing any further.

"Are you seeing what I am seeing?"

A small point of light illuminates a spot at the bottom of the hill. From here, Acelina can make out three shadows indicating there are people standing around the light.

"Did Kingsley write he would bring company?"

"No. Only the date, time, and location."

"I will go first," Haela whispers, "If this is a trap, I want both of you to flee. Understand?"

Acelina wants to argue but the tone in her best friend's voice is stern. She nods and together with Hollie, she watches Haela descend the hill. It's clear she has been sneaking around more often in the way she carefully approaches the three figures.

"Would they really set up a trap? I thought these people were on our side."

It bugs Acelina too. If they wanted to catch her, they could have done so at the first meeting with Kingsley. Acelina digs her nails in the palm of her hand as she watches Haela approach one of the figures from behind. Without a moment of hesitation, the woman grabs the figure and points her wand at their throat.

The scream the person lets out is muffled by Haela. The two other figures have realised what is happening and are pointing their wands at Haela. There is screaming from both sides before Acelina can hear Haela's voice.

"What are you fine gentlemen doing in a field this late?"

The person Haela is holding struggles against her grip but Haela is stronger than one would think and keeps them under control.