Chapter 15

If asked later, Acelina won't be able to tell how she managed to lead the group of shaken men and women up several pairs of stairs leading to the Atrium, just that she did. Most of the group don't seem to apprehend what is going on while others help make sure the group stays together. The last thing they need is to lose someone.

Acelina was worried they might bump into someone if they took the elevators so she opted for the stairs. Before she steps into the Atrium, Acelina carefully opens the door and scans the gigantic hall for any threats.

It's long past office hours and the Atrium is empty. Thank Morgana.

As she prays to Morgana for nobody to intercept them, Acelina opens the door further and gestures for the men and women to step into the Atrium. Some of the men eye her with narrowed eyes and Acelina is suddenly reminded that she is still wearing the uniform.

The door falls closed behind the last witch. Acelina walks through the empty Atrium past the dark monument in the direction of the fireplaces. Their footsteps echo through the large hall.

They stop at the first golden fireplace on their left and Acelina turns around. With as much authority as she can muster, she gestures to the fireplace and orders: "Take your families and flee this country until the war is over."

"What..."

An elderly witch looks up at Acelina with wide eyes. She has clamped herself to a wizard who looks warily over his shoulder.

"You need to hurry, ma'am. Flee before anyone figures out what is going on."

"Who are you? Why are you helping us?"

A younger wizard has stepped forward and eyes Acelina suspiciously. The pain in her face starts flaming up again, the adrenaline wearing off, and Acelina sighs.

"My name is Mantis. I am here to help because-"

She doesn't have the chance to finish her sentence. The door of two elevators slide open and reveal Draguar accompanied by several more guards. Once they spot the group near the fireplaces, they begin running in their direction.

Another wave of panic washes over Acelina. She is so close.

Acelina grabs the arm of the young wizard and pushes him towards the fireplace. Frantic, she looks between the Muggle-Borns and the guards.

"Go, now!"

The wizard remains cautious but also seems to realise what is going on. He rips his arm out of Acelina's grip and turns to the elderly witch.

"Close the exits!"

"Don't let them escape!"

The screams of the guards set the remaining men and women in motion. Two at a time, the Muggle-Borns run into the fireplaces and start apparating away. The younger wizard helps Acelina get all the Muggle-Born into the fireplaces as quickly as possible. Another man has pulled out his wand and has started sending spells in the direction of the guards to slow them down.

It doesn't take long before everyone has apparated away, leaving Acelina with two men. They thank her before sending a few curses in the direction of the guards and disappearing into the fire. Acelina casts one more look at Draguar. The man looks like he is going to kill her if he gets his hands on her. Acelina rushes into the fireplace and apparates away.

The memory of her Apparation lessons at Hogwarts pops up in her mind. Their Instructor had been a stern man.

'One had to be completely determined to reach one's destination, and move without haste, but with deliberation, young students. Never rush when apparating.'