24:

A/N: Not you guys making Cloud 69 #1 in Fiction. I don't even know what to say, thank you!

Also: Maddie, Luna, Carson, Dylan, Jason, and Zach are all Juniors in high school, so they're all 17/18 years old. 

************

I know this isn't right.

I know that two people who have, or had, an unspoken frenemies-with-benefits relationship don't have separation problems. They don't struggle to stay away from each other or have an inner conflict about why exactly they can't stay away from each other.

But here we are.

We're both awake, and we're both completely aware that the other is awake. Yet, neither of us has said anything about it. Almost like we're both scared that once the silence ends, so will this.

He hasn't moved at all. I haven't moved at all. We're just laying here, completely still, in the same position we've been all night long, scared that any movement at all would put an end to the moment.

I don't want to be the one to do it. I'm waiting for him to speak or move or do something first. I wonder if he's waiting on the same out of me.

It wasn't necessarily that I didn't know what to say. Hell, there's probably a whole list of things I should or could say. But my tongue felt like it was frozen to the bottom of my mouth, physically blocking me from saying what I could or should say.

He probably was waiting for me to be the first to say something. I mean, I was the one who came in here last night, uninvited and after half a month of not speaking. Still, I wasn't ready to speak yet– at least not about what I knew needed to be said. I knew last night this would be the problem, but I didn't think morning would come so quickly.

So instead, my fight or flight response kicked in, and I took the easy road. I pulled away from him swiftly and silently. I would just get out of his bed and walk myself back to my room, and that would be the end of it. We could revisit this at a later time. 

He could've let me go, too. He could've made this easy, but he had to be stubborn. 

"No," He said, voice still hoarse. He had grabbed my wrist, and was holding it too tightly for me to pull away. "Wait."

I couldn't look at him, so I stared out his window, not really knowing what to do with myself now. I couldn't pull away from him again. He was doing everything in his power to keep that from happening.

He gave a small tug on my wrist, trying to get me to look at him. I was scared of what I would see if I forced myself to look into his eyes, but I did it anyway. It was the first time I looked directly at him all morning, and really, the first time in over two weeks.

"Five minutes," he said. The bright green of his eyes was imploring.

"What?"

"You can go back to pretending I don't exist and everything is nothing, but please, just give me five more minutes."

His pupils were big, and the straight line of his lips curled downwards at the corners. His grip around my wrist got tighter, and he was pulling me closer in a much more obvious way.

I know this isn't right.

I know two people with a former frenemies-with-benefits situation wouldn't have proposed such a request. Nor would they give in to it. They wouldn't need extra time laying half-dressed together in a non-sexual way. 

Yet, here the fuck we are.

I sighed as I laid back down next to him again, moving in closer until I could feel the warmth of his body heat. His arms engulfed me in a tight hold, pressing my body against his, skin to skin. I've never been big on cuddling, but his hugs are the kind that make you want to lay in bed forever, and never sleep alone ever again.