36:

"What do you mean what am I doing today?" Carson asked. "It's Saturday, Jason's having a party."

Shit. I forgot about that. 

"Well, yeah," I said awkwardly. "Do you really want to go, though?"

He paused for a moment and let out a deep breath, "I've got to rejoin the world eventually. I think it might actually help."

He pulled off the sheets and kicked his feet over the side of the bed, decidedly not going back to sleep. I sat up, pulling my knees to my chest and leaning back against the headboard. 

"So, then, what are you doing today? Before the party."

"Jason wants the guys to have a, as he put it, "bro brunch" with him. I'm not really sure what it entails, but knowing Jason, I'm guessing we'll be out all day."

"Oh, okay," I said quietly. 

I zoned out, staring at him as he pulled down his flannel pajama pants, and only part of me recognized that he was now standing in front of me in just his underwear.

"Do you really wanna go... to the party?" I blurted out, asking once again. 

"Um, yeah, I guess. Why not?"

I shrugged, "It's nothing, never mind. I just, didn't know if I wanted to go tonight."

He sat down on the edge of the bed, "Is there something going on? Are you alright?"

"Yeah, no, I'm fine," I replied, smiling. "Forget it, it's silly."

"Okay," He responded, stretching as he got up from the bed once again. "I'm gonna go get ready."

I didn't leave his bed as he got into the shower. Even after he had gotten out, I stayed where I was, watching him in the mirror as he shaved. The whole time I wondered how I was supposed to tell him I didn't want to go to the party because I wanted to be alone with him. 

I sighed and rested my head back down on the pillow. Maybe if I just closed my eyes all of this stress would go away. I can't even remember the last time I thought about a guy this much.

*                             *                             *

This party was lame, and I was more than over it. 

I plopped onto the couch and dumped the drink in my hand into the fake plant pot beside me. God, I wished this night would just hurry up and end. The entire house smelt of alcohol and a cheap perfume, but I had no inclination to try and push through the swarm of people to get outside for fresh air. 

I scanned over the room lazily, looking for some of my friends. I spotted Luna and Jason in the kitchen, having a heated argument about what seemed to be the last beer bottle. I knew Dylan had gone upstairs about a half hour ago with some random girl, and Zach was over in the next room playing beer pong. 

A few minutes passed before Carson came and collapsed down beside me on the couch. His cheeks were flushed a rosy color, and there was a faint smile spread across his lips. That made me feel a little better. 

He tried to say something, but was cut off by Luna and Jason, still arguing as they joined us on the couch. 

"You could have a least given me a sip, you little bitch!" Luna exclaimed, which Jason merely replied to by shoving his middle finger in her face. 

I huffed and closed my eyes for a few moments, trying my best to ignore the commotion. However, Dylan and Zach soon made their way over to us as well, and Dylan started on about the girl he was just with. I tuned him out and focused on the people dancing along to the blaring music.