12:

There are some things in life that I will never understand. Like:

Desks with small surface areas– where the fuck am I supposed to put my shit? How cruise ships don't sink– yes, I have taken physics but it still defies my laws of gravity. Calculators– how in the hell do they know everything? People who enjoy eating cottage cheese?

There are so many questions, some with reasonable answers, that I will just never be able to comprehend. For example, why the hell when you are very obviously ignoring someone, they continue to annoy you.

"Maddie!" He whispered yet again. Though this one was less of a whisper and more of a tapered shout. It was loud enough to get people sitting at desks nearby to turn their heads.

I kept my head down, eyes glued to the paper on my desk, but I could feel his presence hovering over my shoulder. He was relentless today.

I groaned, "Carson, I swear to God, I will punch you."

I hoped that gaining a response from me would finally turn him away. The entire duration of the class had been an uphill battle thus far, and it had only been fifteen minutes.

I did my best to tune him out and continued scribbling down whatever our history teacher had been going on about. Something about Great Britain.

"Maddie," He continued, now tapping my shoulder. It was truly a wonder that he kept his GPA so high considering how little attention he pays in class, if he even comes to class. 

"What?" I exclaimed, caving in to him and turning around. He was leaning over his desk, far enough to be able to touch me again. His eyes were glowing with something sinister, and his smile was nothing short of devious. 

"It's Friday," he said. 

"Good for you, you know the days of the week," I said, rolling my eyes. 

He shrugged, "I invested in a calendar. It has different farm animals for each month."

"You better hope that you've been harassing me for something more important than your latest dollar store purchase."

He looked wholly unbothered by my comment, disregarding it completely. His lips split into a shit-eating smile. "Guess what farm animals this month has."

"I don't care," I responded. I took out my water bottle from the pocket of my backpack and turned forward in my seat.

It had been maybe ten seconds before I felt him hovering over me again. "Guess," he whispered, his lips right by my ear.

"I don't want to."

"Come on, guess." I took a drink from my bottle and gave him a shake of my head as a reply. "Fine," he said. "This month is big cocks."

I barely managed to swallow the drink of water down and immediately began coughing. I could hear Carson chuckling over my shoulder. "Be careful, Princess. I wouldn't want you to choke."

Once I could draw a steady breath, I turned around to face him again. He looked all too proud of himself.

"What, you don't like roosters?" The corner of his lips twitched with amusement.

"You are an ass," I retaliated. "That was it? Seriously. A stupid pun? That's all you wanted?"

"No," he said, leaning against the back of his seat. "But it's fun to mess with you."

I groaned, "Just spit out whatever it is that you want, Carson."

He sighed, "Fine. I was just going to tell you that it's Friday, meaning I have plans. So, don't wait up."