3:

"What are you doing here?" I asked, glaring at him. 

He shrugged, his hands in his pockets. "The same thing you're doing here."

"I live here," I replied. 

"My parents insisted I come tonight," He explained disdainfully. "Trust me, it was not my idea to come."

I rolled my eyes, "And you couldn't get hit by a car on the way?"

"I tried. Sure as hell would've brought me more pleasure than this."

Speaking of pleasure– "Aren't you supposed to be with some girl?" I asked. 

He smirked, "Why? Jealous?"

I shrugged, "I don't know it just seems that you must have finished... rather quickly." I smirked as his nostrils flared and the muscle in his jaw ticked. He looked like he was about to say something, but was unfortunately cut off by mother calling for us to join them in the kitchen. 

Giving him a final glare, I set off toward the kitchen, aware that Carson was following behind me. I tried to ignore his presence, but his strides were larger than mine, and he had closed the distance between us fairly quickly. Every hair on my body stood up as he swayed himself closer to me, his arm just barely brushing against mine. 

"I do have to give you some credit, Princess," He said, a calm droll to his tone as he lowered his voice to ensure he wouldn't be overheard. "You in that dress is a divine vision." I could feel his eyes on me in the same way I could sense the smirk tainting his face. I did my best to remain the unbothered, choosing to ignore his comment and meet it with grace. The grace lasted about a second before I flicked his forehead and accidentally stomped on his foot. 

"Keep it in your pants," I muttered.  

When we entered the kitchen, we split apart– he moved to sit on the far side of the table next to his mother, and I sat down in the open seat next to my mother. His eyes were on my as soon as we had settled down in our seats, and I challenged his stare with my own. If this is how he wanted to play it, I had no problem beating him. 

The next forty minutes were spent with dry laughter, occasional and awkward questions about school, and menacing glares between Carson and I. My mother had said the purpose of this dinner was to discuss business, but not a single mention of anything related to the hospital was mentioned during the span of dinner. 

I covered my mouth with my hand in a lame attempt to hide my yawn– I was more than over this night before it had even begun, and the fact that Carson was here was only salt in the wound. I winced when I felt something kick my leg under the table. My eyes immediately went to Carson and I mouthed a curse at him; he said nothing, but pointed to his phone, which lay open in his lap. 

I scowled at him, but pulled out my own phone, opening the message from him. 

Meet me in the bathroom. - C

You do realize I find you disgusting and not the least bit attractive. I'm not meeting you in the bathroom. - M

(The first part was a lie, but I don't want to hear it.)

Don't flatter yourself, Princess. I just don't want to sit at this table anymore. - C

I'd honestly rather sit here in utter boredom than have to spend ANY time alone, talking with you. - M

You're technically talking to me right now. - C

Touché. - M

I stood from the table first, quietly excusing myself, and Carson was quick to follow suit. Neither of us had managed to move more than a step or two away from the table before we were called back by my mother.