20:

I closed my locker with a lot more force than I probably needed, but after shoving all of my useless textbooks inside, I was grateful to hear the door slam shut. Today had been long enough, and the last thing I needed was all of my books to topple out.

The halls were completely empty. The school day had only ended ten minutes ago, but almost everyone had already left for the day. It was quiet and almost peaceful without the crowds of people bustling through. 

The clicking of heels interrupted my thoughts. I already knew who it was; not many people are irritating enough to wear heels to class every day. I turned my head to see Lana, leader of the L-Squad was walking in my direction. 

Her eyes were steady on mine. As she drew closer, I studied the tenseness in her features. Her lips were pursed, her jaw was set, and her eyes were narrowed in. She was definitely up to something.

As much as I wanted nothing more than to turn and run, that wasn't really an option with her. My only current concern is that she's alone. It's rare that she is without someone in her corner to support her, and it really had me wondering what it is she wanted.

"Madeline!" Lana cheered, coming to a stop a few feet in front of me. She had plastered on a wide smile, and made her eyes big, as though she was totally shocked to have run into me. Her over-applied perfume was burning my nostrils. 

"Lana," I smiled. 

"How are you?" She asked. Nothing about her tone conveyed that she actually cared for an answer, nor was I really inclined to give her one.

"Well, I'm talking to you right now. But at least the rest of your group isn't here," I replied, dropping all the friendliness in my smile. I was hoping to make a quick getaway, but, of course, it didn't work. 

"Oh, you're so funny," Lana laughed, the sound ringing in my ears. 

"You know," Lana started. "You and Luna could always sit with us. Me and my friends, I mean. We'd be delighted to have you as part of our... group."

I so badly wanted to laugh at her. For as long as I could remember, Lana had labeled herself as "the popular girl." But she was only popular because she was disliked or feared. People hung out with her and did what she said because they were scared of consequence. No chance in hell would I want to be a part of that. Any friendship with her is a dictatorship, and I refuse to be her servant.

"Oh, I would love that," I feigned. "But then you wouldn't be the L-Squad anymore. Pity."

After all these years, it was still kind of funny that Lana hadn't realized that her group having a name wasn't the compliment she thought it was. During eighth grade, someone had coined Lana and her friends the L-Squad, because they were a bunch of losers for how they treated others. It spread like wildfire. Lana thought it was a testament to how popular she was, and she was more than happy to let it stick. 

"I guess you're right," Lana nodded. "What a pity."

"Was there something you wanted, Lana? I can't imagine you came over here to discuss something as stupid as lunch table seating."

"What? I can't just catch up with you, a dear  friend of mine?" She asked.

"Right, okay." I turned and started heading toward the front doors.

"Although," she started. I stopped in my place and took a sharp inhale, attempting to calm myself now so I don't lash out at her. I turned back around, putting back on my best fake smile.

She started again, bringing a hand to her chest. "I did hear something about you. And Carson. That you two might be having a... relationship of some sort?"