Chapter 4

"Hey Lou! I'm sorry for running off yesterday... How come you aren't still in the hospital?" Louis looked back, searching for Zayn and nodded gratefully when their eyes met. Zayn did the same with a slight smile and he returned his attention back to the boy before him sipping his drink and drumming his fingers on the bar top.

"Why would I stay there? M'fine."

"Your head broke!"

"Okay, broke is a really strong word, Styles-"

"What my partner means to say is that he's a stubborn prick." That got a giggle from Harry and Louis turned away, rather than acknowledging his fondness of the light little chuckle. Liam was the only friend he had and it took them months, at first, before they could simply tolerate each other so he couldn't bear the thought that Harry was someone he saw as more than a stranger in a crowd.

"What's up with him...?"

"Like I said. Stubborn prick." What was there to be stubborn about? Harry just wanted to have a conversation with him, that's all. His mind swirled with different reasons why Louis was avoiding him, the top being his general weirdness but he got a hold on his thoughts after downing his drink. That gave him the courage to move over to the side of the bar Louis was wiping down and take a seat, staring at him in silence.

Louis switched from cleaning and was now holding up a cocktail shaker, sleeves rolled up to his forearms and he begged himself not to drool at the sight. Be cool, Hazz, be cool! But why does he have to be so fucking ho- goddammit I swear to God he hasn't even really spoken to you or looked at you, today and you're already blushing you simp! "Lou, umm Louis, how'd you learn how to do that?"

"Liam."

"Louis, are we... Are we cool? Like... Gosh. I'm sorry." Harry thought he was going to be alright talking to Louis but the alcohol couldn't stop his fretting and he covered his face with his hands. Harry Styles hiding away from attention was a rare sight to see and frankly, Louis didn't like it. The man was the type who shone without even trying, it was a bit much but it was also absolutely him and he hated that he might have caused such a swift switch.

"What the fuck are you apologising for, Styles...? You haven't done a damn thing to offend me. Honestly, I don't give enough of a fuck about anyone to get offended easy so you really oughta relax." He didn't say anything, still keeping his head down and the man before him sighed audibly, not knowing what to make of the rare sight hidden under all the booze that was sad Harry. Harry looked up when Louis gripped his wrists with a soft expression that may or may not have made his heart jump. "We're good, Harry."

The green-eyed beauty flushed slightly in response and Louis could only smile, then grimace as he turned back to grab a cup. Why had his voice gone all sweet at the end, like that? Why had he called him Harry? Why did the blush and shy smile on Harry's face make his alarming actions feel worth it? He noticed Harry was grinning way too wide behind him just from his little action and slid a drink to a patron, leaning across the table slightly and looking him in the eyes.

"Don't you ever get tired of trying to talk to me?"

"Nope. And I bet you don't, either. You could never ignore me for long, you just loooooooove me too much."

Louis could only chuckle. More days went by the same way. Harry's focus was almost fully on him as he worked, a strangely welcome distraction in comparison to the random customers who were all drunk enough that they were desparate to get touched by anyone, even him. He couldn't count the number of invites to hook up he had gotten and he would never be any less disgusted at the thought. He wondered how Liam could handle them so effortlessly all the days, grinning and nodding along as they rambled to him. He couldn't imagine doing the job as long as his roommate had without ever snapping.