Chapter 27

"Ha, that showed him. He probably thinks I'm some uptight bitch, now. He knows not to mess with T-Swift-"

"Tay, you're literally the most down-to-earth royal I've ever met."

"Ha, thanks, Harr. That especially helps since we're getting married and all. You were so kind on that livestream of yours... I'm so glad you're trying for us after all this time-" he stiffened once she stretched out a hand to him, locking eyes with her.

"What? No... No, Tay, that stream was- you thought it was for you?"

"Who else would it be for...?" She took one look at his expression and knew in an instant.

"Louis. Every word... Every space in between my words, every breath was and is for Louis."

"The man that just left? He's rude! Harry, is that another one of those guys you let ravage you while you were away from the castle? You deserve better, you know that."

"Don't say that, he hates the comparison more than anything." Taylor frowned. They had been close friends when they were younger, before their fathers informed them of their betrothal and he grasped her hands tightly, hoping she would understand. Perhaps they could be friends, again. "And trust me, he's absolutely wonderful, he just doesn't show that truth to people who haven't earned it."

"I'm going to be your wife, Harry."

"You don't have to, we don't have to... Taylor, you've let yourself be puppeted all your life! I'm begging you, think for yourself for once, think of me and my wants, think of what you want in life! You can't seriously be keen to marry me, not after I ran off and never contacted you, blocked you everywhere, slept with anyone I could-"

"Stop. Royal marriage isn't like regular ones. We have to try. I'm not going to give up on us, regardless of your past faults. We can move on."

"Taylor, you deserve better. And as for me? I already found the best. I can't believe you've still tried to keep your flame for me alive after all this time... after everything, why would you... Our upbringing really has done a number on us, hasn't it?"

"So... You love him. Harry? You're in love with that man?"

"...Yes. A thousand times yes." Her eyes sank to the floor and he flinched. "You can have this, too. Find it in you to walk away from this life, even for a little while, give yourself the space to think about what you desire-"

She rose, her expression cold. "I'll see you at the ball. I'll send Grimshaw to let him know you're free."

"T-"

"Good night, Marquis." Taylor waited, hidden behind a wall for Louis to come out. She observed his nervous gestures and sighed. Harry's words about setting herself free came up in her mind and she laughed, dropping down to the floor a moment later because she was so happy for and so jealous of him. She, on the other hand, was doomed to smile with a man who was probably gay or at the very least, was too in love with another to ever even try to want her for the rest of her life. And then she heard a soft voice call out to her, raising her head as shame took over her being.

"Are you okay...? Oh- Lady Swift?" Eleanor had been sneaking around, hoping to catch some drama at Harry's doorstep but this was an unexpected development that she struggled in her head with whether to put in her blog or not.

"Taylor's fine. Are you one of the servants?" Eleanor didn't reply. She probably would have been totally pissed if not that Taylor had wrapped her warm hand around hers, struggling to wipe her eyes with a broken laugh. "Please just help me to a balcony. I need some air."

"This is very inappropriate, Master Tomlinson. Master Styles Junior, are you sure-"

"Bye, Master Nick!" Louis shut the door behind him and Harry shot up, feeling warm inside when Louis frowned the moment he saw his nose was red. "He doesn't like me one bit, that butler. But I guess I don't give a shit."