Chapter 31

Umm... Tw suicidal ideation 🖤

With Louis, New Years' was always the same. The world was usually too bleak and blurry for him to remember to be fully present but this was a day he took very seriously. He noticed everything as he walked down the street, the blinding colours under the dim lights, all the beautiful people walking around with big smiles and excitement on their faces. He'd cross paths with people like him once in a while, those who were stumbling by alone, drunk or blank-faced, crying or complaining loudly. The unhappy ones. And he'd just smile to himself, struggling to drag his defeated body forward a bit more until he found what he was looking for.

"Oi! What the fuck is wrong with you, mate?!" He'd not noticed where he was walking and bumped into someone, clearly an unhappy one. But this was the kind that used rage to hide his sadness and projected every bother to others. Now, he was a target, he thought with a slight wince.

"Sorry."

"Sorry isn't good enough! You made me fucking spill my drink, who do you think you are, fag?!" Did he give off the vibe so much that this random drunk stranger could notice? He wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry at his night being interrupted by such a curious creature. He wondered what his life was like. He wondered what was going through his mind and what the past year had held in store for him. He wondered if he was as sad as him, right then, under this layer of rage and growling and hatred. He had a faraway look in his eyes, right then, that only pissed the man off even further. "Go fucking kill yourself."

"Maybe I will." Louis rose his eyes with challenge to squarely meet the stranger's, the blue of his irises dull and sparkless unlike most other eyes around the square. The man looked uncertain for a moment, then his face reddened farther as he was filled with even more rage, if that was possible. He just wanted to leave but his arm was being gripped tightly enough to bruise if not for the jacket he wore. What a way to end the crazy year. More randomised madness.

"Wipe that smile off your face!" He'd been smiling? Right. He'd realised that one of the bits of randomised madness of the year had brought Harry to him and the smile just appeared by association with the man's name. He found his body freeze with guilt and self-loathing, wishing he was with him right then. If only. "You think that's funny?! Huh?! Poking fun at suicide? You're even shittier than I thought-"

"All I did was agree with you but hey, feel free to punch me if you'd like, mate. You can be added to my millions of reasons." The man blinked at him and Louis couldn't help but laugh at how this was all going. Just as he was about fed up by his attitude and ready to throw a punch, a girl walked in front of Louis with her friends, gathering around him.

"You're him! You really are him! You're Louis Tomlinson, aren't you? Is this dickhead bothering you?" They all looked like teenagers and stared at him adoringly. It was annoying. Then they turned back and glared daggers at the man who'd already let go of him, backing away from their angry eyes and was now walking away with low grumbles. If he wasn't some guy who people believed was shagging a Marquis, would anyone have helped? There was no doubt it was possible but unlikely.

The girls turned to him once again and asked for autographs, more and more people coming around to see the cause of the commotion. Louis swallowed, not even bothering to force a smile as he felt himself being pushed about by all the people. All of a sudden, there was a loud whistle and people turned their heads.

"Hey, I'm Eleanor Caulder, you guys might've seen me on the bougie_bitch's blogs? Well, we're friends and I've got exclusive gossip, just for you all to hear first! Curious?" Louis slipped through the waning crowd, running once he was in the open air until he couldn't breathe, anymore. He leaned against a wall and rose a cigarette to his lips, staring out at moving traffic for some minutes without a thought.