Chapter 37

Louis rolled his eyes when he found the other half of his bed missing his other half. Who knows where the hell Harry went off to and forgot himself, this time. It would be nice to give him a break from wedding planning with Liam and Zayn, anyway. They weren't quite sure when they were going to get hitched since Liam still hadn't even told his family he was bi yet, not that they were homophobic yet Hazz didn't care. He just wanted everything prepped to give them the best small wedding they could have.

He went into the kitchen after brushing his teeth, smiling when he saw Harry left him some breakfast. Hard to believe he would find someone who would pamper him like this or anyone at all, really. He hesitantly put on his phone, ignoring notifications from the couple of social media apps he had. It was already February, the fourteenth to be exact. A month and a fortnight before, he was at the top of a skyscraper, contemplating ending his life. Funny how time flies.

Louis had never believed in Valentine's Day but it suddenly occurred to him that Hazz might. Begrudgingly, he called him up, not able to help the smile that graced his face when Harry picked up with a cheerful, "hello, love of my life!"

"Wow, that's new."

"But it's true, innit? C'mon, there's people around me, I've got to rub the fact that I've got a boo bear in all their faces, it's what couples do on Val's day silly. Can't break a universally accepted tradition."

"You... Are an idiot."

"You love me."

"Mm. And I went and got myself psyched up to ask for nothing. Great."

"Oh, no, wait, can't put all that effort to waste so you're totally free to ask?" Free to? It sounded like Harry wanted him to. He could hear his giddy breathing over the phone. Such a dork, he thought with a smile.

"Alright, princess... Wanna be my Valentine or something?"

"Of course! Why'd you even ask over the phone, you silly goose, I wanna kiss you...! So mean." Louis heard ruffling over the phone, putting him off but let it go since he would no doubt find out what was going on, what with his new roommates penchant for rambling. He did wonder what Hazz was up to this time, though.

"Your fault for disappearing before I woke up. I still think it's a dumb holiday but whatever, just hurry back, you big baby."

"Your big baby. Who you love very much." Louis blew his hair out of his face and muttered "yup, bye", about to hang up. "Woah, wait, I just remembered!"

"Yeah...?"

"Let's go on a date."

"What?"

"We've never really been on one."

"Harry, that sounds-"

"You can't refuse, m'outside and I brought you flowers, bitch."

"I was going to say okay, actually," he muttered as he opened the door, rolling his eyes at Harry's sheepish expression. "Sounds different and I guess I should've seen this coming, mister free spirit. A heads-up would've been nice, though."

"Shit, I thought you were going to refuse, so that's why I ambushed you instead- take as much time as you need to get ready," Harry whispered with a nervous smile. Louis fondly ruffled his hair and kissed his forehead, flicking his nose and strolling to his room. There was something behind his back but he was sure he was about to find out, anyway.

When he came out of his room, Harry revealed his gift. It was... Well, a cactus. Louis held it up in his hand. He could have pretended if he wanted to but that wasn't his thing so instead, he gazed questioningly at his boy. "Love... Please explain. It's not that it's not cute but I'm still kind of at a loss."