Chapter 1. The Incident

It was not good in my little house this year. It was not good in my little house. 
   It was almost summer, but I wasn't too exicted about seeing the summer sun. This would be the first summer in a long time without my daughter.

   Last year on June 4th, my only daughter died at 7:13 AM. Today it would be a whole year since the random day when my daughter took an Uber Bus to the city.
  The last time I remember seeing my daughter she had her thick perfectional work glasses and her silky blue dress that reminds me of the ocean. She had my ocean blue eyes and her Father's brown curly hair. Her nose, like mine sticks out, but has a round edge. She's a great fashion designer like me, and very quiet and secretive like her Father. She was visiting me and her Father, (My Husband) for the week. Her car was getting repaired, so unfortunately she took the stupid Uber Bus. She and her hipster friends all had to get to a professional meeting because they work for the fashion industry. I soppose the driver took one too many drinks that night. According to my daughters friends, the driver took a really bad turn into the really bad section of the area. My daughter being the quietly brave person she was opened the window and insisted that they should quickly jump out even though they were on the thruway. It was only my daughter and her two other friends riding, so they made a jump into the sea of traffic. I appreciate the bravery, but I can't even think about how tragically my daughter died in an unfamiliar area. I've never seen her since.

It was 10:00 that day last year on June 4th 1986 in my little house on my sofa. I was reading a fashion magazine and I was imagining my single, yet wealthy thirty year old daughter at the fancy meeting.

The kitchen phone rang, I moved my tiny feet to the kitchen and picked up the phone with my big hands. "What?" I say boardly.
   There was a silence. I heard only ruffles of trees blowing in the wind for twenty seconds.
  "Miss Conalie?" It was Marlowe, my favorite of my daughter's friend group. "I thought you were at the meeting.... right?" I said airily. "Well.... uh... w-w-well w-w-we were going to... but... uh..." She was slower than usual today. "Is something wrong?" I asked nervously as my heart was already pounding in my sixty nine year old chest. Again Marlowe didn't speak right away, hesitantly she told me, "So you know how we took the uber bus?"
"Yes."
"I guess the driver took one to many drinks last night. He drove way out of the area and on the thruway.... Perri said we should jump out the window."
"She did WHAT?!?"
"Uh... well we all did, but Perri went off the thruway and..."
"What? What happened to my daughter?!?"
"She died."
"Hey wait, h-h-how do you know that?!?!"
"She wasn't breathing when they found her, but they told me to keep her engagement ring and give it back to her boyfriend."

I ended the call because I couldn't speak at all anymore. Even when I try to speak, no words came out of my mouth. It was like just air came out. I couldn't believe that my quiet daughter has an engagement ring and never told me that she was engaged. For thirty years, never in her life has she ever liked a guy. Who can she possibly be dating without telling me?

  My husband Richard was talking though. "It's not possible. She couldn't have died. It's not possible. We're driving there." "I don't believe it either. It's no use." I finally said.

Than I just remembered my dream of last night. I was drowning in a random body of water. I could swim just fine, but in the dream I was not very strong. A black shadow figure was flowing above me and he said one sentence the whole time and he said "The fire will have your soul." Maybe, just maybe it was a sign telling me that this will be a day of many horrors~~~~~