Chapter 17. Mysterious

We came back to the house with the Knowledge of the cursed pool. I got to admit that the Witch is absolutely crazy. I turned on the important news that was on with the children surrounding me. Of course everyone was loud except for Jenifer who as I could tell is still haunted by the experience in that book. "I need more credit!" Yelled Phillip. "You already got enough credit don't you think?" Said Scott. "No." Phillip said very darkly. Phillip sighed and looked at the space between the door and the Television. "I wish Olivia was in the book with us, only because I saved everyone and she would've been so shocked that she'd jump out of her shoes."
I heard the phone over the man on the news. "Shhh!" I shushed to the kids as I tried to get to the telephone in the kitchen, but my back was causing more pain than ever. My knees felt extremely wobbly. Like jello on a plate being thrown on the floor. I don't even like Jello, why are my knees reminding me of it?
I slipped on the shiny floor. I hit my head on the end of the table and screamed "Ahhhhh!"
Scott, Jenifer, Christopher and Phillip scurried to the kitchen. Then I think I went blank.

"Maybe she'll wake up, just give her time." I heard Jenifer say softly. "Quick, we need black tea. That should wake her up right?" I heard Scott say. I opened my eyes. My glasses were gone, but Scott was there. Infact, he was right in my face. Blurry, but I recognized him. I tried to sit up while saying "What hhhhhapend?" Scott helped me to my feet, but I held on to the wall for support. "Mrs Conalie, are you okay?" Asked Scott. "No!" I Yelped.
My knees got so wobbly. "Mrs Conalie, you're not standing right." Jenifer gasped. "Ahhh! I'm so mad! Ahhh! I can't stand it! What's wrong with my legs!?" I yelled.
I was angry. Really angry.... at my feet. Jenifer backed up. I don't blame her. When I was little and ten, I always ran and hid from angry people. "Mrs Conalie, I answered the phone. It was a call for a free vacation to Hawaii." Jenifer squeeked. "Did you agree to the vacation?" I demanded. "Ah, Mrs Conalie, the um... it was probably just a scam... so I thought I should hang up." She replied. "YOU CAN'T HANG UP ON PHONE CALLS!!" I bellowed. Now I'm assuming that Christopher and Phillip are playing uno upstairs or something. "Mrs Conalie you really need a Brownie." Scott suggested in an undertone. I took angry breaths. "Yes. I want a Brownie." I said with gritted teeth.
I never actually tasted these Brownies yet and they tasted better than I expected. Soft chocolate goodness. I closed my eyes as a chew it. "Where is that girl anyway?" I ask.
Jenifer and Scott looked clueless and a bit scared.

The noise of the phone went ringing. I was on the couch feeling the muscles in my legs growing weak. Scott and Jenifer scurried to the phone because I didn't have the strength to do so. "I got it!" Scott hissed. "I got it!" Jenifer hissed back. Sadly this reminds me of Perri. She was always trying to grab the phone first, even when she was really little. "Hi, Evangeline can't come to the phone right now!" Chirped Jenifer's little voice on the phone. "I'm not calling for Evangeline in particular, I guess I can just talk to you." Said the man's drifted voice on the phone. "Who is that?" I whispered to Scott as he helped me walk to the kitchen. Scott shrugged and we entered. "Okay." Said Jenifer in a focused voice as her left hand was on her hip and the other holding the phone to her ear. "I told Nicholas and Autumn that Olivia was missing, they are absolutely infuriated." The man om the phone said. I recognized his drifted somewhat dreamy voice as Mr Peachfuz. I grabbed the phone because my hands can move fast, despite the weakness of my knees. "You can't tell them that!" I raged. "Evangeline this is essential stuff!" Mr Peachfuz argued. "Is this why you call me, Mr Peachfuz? Is this why? Because you can yell about me losing track of children?"
Well. I thought. Mr Peachfuz is Mr Espcu's older brother. Of course they are very different, but siblings have massive personality similarities. I don't want Mr Peachfuz to be like Mr Espcu, because I think Mr Espcu is always trying to tell me that I don't keep tabs on the kids. Of course Perri died, but that wasn't because I didn't keep tabs on her. Perri died an adult, she wasn't even young. I always saw myself as a good parent. I forced Perri to go to school and get smart, and she turned out to be perfectly smart and independent. I'm furious because Mr Espcu always ran into me these days and yells at me for not keeping tabs on the kids. What does he know anyway? He was never there when I read to the kids, and when I cook them lunch. He never saw me lose anyone either. Then why does he yell at me for not keeping tabs?
Oh God in heaven. If Mr Espcu really doesn't trust me, then why does he let me take care of his grandkids anyway?
"You're just like your brother not trusting me." I snapped.
"I never said I didn't trust you Evangeline, they have people looking for her."
"What are these people?"
"Important people that know how to find lost kids."