Chapter 7. Golden Mistakes

It's been a whole hour since I through the spy man out of my house. 
  DING DONG!!! goes the door.  Now I had to leave the couch and go all the way to the door to open it. DING DONG!!! "Alright Alright I'm coming!" I hollered. 
  I open the front door to see a ten year old little girl who had very curly blond hair and huge green eyes.  "Exuse me are you Mrs Conalie?" She whispered shyly.  She was holding a shiny plate with twelve chocolate chip cookies on it.  "I am." I said slowly. "My Mother sent me to send you these cookies because you recently moved to LA." She whispered as her cheeks turn a bright red color. "Ha ha! You are so cute! Come in!" I laugh.
  I'm only assuming that this child is harmless. I wouldn't let an adult in, but I'll let this cute child in.  "Did you make these cookies yourself?" I ask while putting the dish on the counter.  She shook her head.  She seemed too uncomfortable to touch anything in my living room.  "What's your name?" I asked.  She hesitated for a second and then told me "Jenifer Whiteson."
  She must be Madilyn's daughter.  I sat. "Do you have a Mom?" I caught myself saying. "Yeah. Madilyn Whiteson, she told me about you and sent me." Jenifer whispered.  I sat on the couch while she stood stifly in the Middle of the room.  I can tell she has a desire to get out. 
  The door slowly opens and a elderly man voice fills the room. "Jenifer, we can't talk all day. Time to go." He says. Jenifer ran to the old man quickly and he rapped her into a warm hug.  I've never been hugged like that before.
  I look at the old man, he wore a gold coat that matched his golden hair. He had plenty of wrinkles, but his emerald eyes gave me a familiar feeling of hatred that I felt when I was sixteen.
  I guess I should've known. 
  "No way.... Evangeline C.  I knew I would find you." He says in his dry voice.  "Ah ah ah Evangeline Conalie. Please don't cut of my last name." I corrected him wisely looking away from his eyes.  "Did you miss me? Did you miss me Evangeline Conalie?" He asked. I turned around to not look at him. "No I didn't.... Mr Whiteson." I quipped.  "Evangeline, you don't have to avoid me." Mr Whiteson interjected. 
  It's obvious now.  The guy that I fell in love with in High School happens to live in Los Angeles now.  He is still gold obsessed and has a daughter, Madilyn Whiteson who is now the owner of Mulberry & Paggles, he also has a sweet and adorable granddaughter who I can see running away right now out the door back to her house. 
  Now that the child ran away, I bet Mr Whiteson wants to talk about childhood.  Childhood is the last thing I want to discuss.  "You remember me
right?" He says hopefully.  I cross my arms.  "I do, but I wouldn't say I want to." Mr Whiteson crossed his arms and his eyes went narrow. "High School was a long time ago." He scoffed. "Yeah I know." I retorted.
  "So what brings you to LA?" He questioned.  I can't look at him with my blood boiling with hatred. 
"It's non of your business." I snapped.  "Well, I came to LA for a very important reason, and I think I should show you something." He said staring directly at me.
  "Please not now! I don't have time for you!" I say pushing him out the door. "What?!" He snapped as his old body came out the doorway. "I'm kicking you out now!" I say forcefully.  "Hey!" Is the last thing he said before he was gone and I locked him out.

He was the only guy I loved in High School.

I found my yearbook of my Sophomore year of High school.  Yep, it was him.  Martin Whiteson was his name.

His eyes take me back to my worst fear coming to reality.  The school lunch lady was yelling at me because I was begging for her to cook more grilled cheese.  You see, the lunch lady was rushing, cooking grilled cheese for all the hungry teenagers at my school.  "What do you mean you are out of grilled cheese?" I whined as a slightly greedy teenager. "That's just the way it is." The lunch woman said very slowly.  Of course I always buy my lunch in school because I don't have the time to pack food in the morning.  They were completely out of food. "You really can't make more food?" My sixteen year old self complained trying not to get too angry. "Listen child! I work twenty four hours a day and there is only so much I can do!!" The lunch lady yelled at me. Her face was red with fury and her hair was falling out of her neat bun.  I remember running back to the lunch table with an empty stomach. 
  Martin Whiteson was on the far end of the cafeteria. He is a feisty person.  I was already in a miserable mood thanks to the way he flirts with random girls, he still manages to be single.  He had about five sandwiches to eat and I knew he was greed over giving.  What caught my attention was the gold erasers that was sitting silently on his table. My stomach turned.  They were my gold erasers.  The three of them that Mrs Huang stole from me when I was late on a test day.  "Exuse me." I utted approaching the golden haired guy of my dreams.  "Ugh what do you want?" Scoffed the popular girl that was there. (I didn't care enough to know her name) "What I really want is my erasers back." I said with high maturity. The girl stood up and her eyes flickers.  "Mrs Huang took them from you, therefore you can't get them back." She scoffed. I remember thinking about how I hated her. "Yeah, well you can't just steal from a teacher." I sassed.  The girl stood just an inch from my face.  "Don't tell me not to steal when your the one trying to steal them back! Because y'know what Evangeline? You don't deserve any gold whatsoever!" I was holding back angry tears and I used my threatening finger to say "Y'know what? It's my gold and I paid for it!"
  "My God people take a chill pill or something and stop fighting!" Yelled Martin Whiteson in his sassy voice.  I get angry. "Wait, this is your fault! Why did you steal the erasers?" I yelled furiously at Martin Whiteson.  His eyes looked like he was ready to fight, but before anyone spoke, I yelled out "Can't anyone just be a decent person and give me what I really want? Like nobody actually cares and my own Father doesn't love me and this whole year is just a terrifying-" before I was finneshed with my stupid rant, Martin Whiteson yelled at me "Maybe if you weren't a dwarf, you'd have better friends and a good amount of gold."
  That is when I had it.  I hate the guy that I've been trying to get to notice me. Well, he noticed me... in a bad light. I looked up and the ceiling and crossed my arms. "Dirty gold demon." The worst thing I said in my sixteen years of being crazy.
  Martin stood up slowly and had angry flames in his eyes. "What did you just say? I'm a dirty gold demon?" He said swiftly.  I remember how he looked calm, but I know he was boiling inside just like me.  "Good luck." He said even more swiftly as he left the cafeteria. Martin Whiteson and my Golden erasers were gone. "He said GOOD LUCK, and I'm about to freak out." Said the girl he was with. 

Ever since that random day I tried to avoid Martin Whiteson mostly because I despise him. Everytime we spoke, I was short with him and he was overly feisty.

Over the next few days I spoke to Mr Espcu.  Mr Espcu was the spy man who wore only black every day.  His son Nicholas was getting re married.
  We were sitting on the bench outside in my yard.  "Is Nicholas getting married to a fashion victim or...." I began. "Nicholas is actually getting married to his quilting parter, Autumn." Responded Mr Espcu.  "He doesn't love her more than Perri does he?" I question.  Mr Espcu shook his head. "I doubt he does, Autumn is not quite like Perri."
"Wait... you said re married?"
"Oh yeah! Nicholas first married at eighteen. Where else do you think he got his marriage knowledge?"
"God I hate re marriage. No wonder Perri never told me she was engaged! I told Perri before that she should never marry a man who has an ex."
"Oh. Why?"
"It's because people that get re married generally compare their partners to their exes. I learned that from my uncle." I say it with a sturdy nod. I turn to look at Mr Espcu. 
"I want to meet Nicholas." I said.