Chapter 15

Aspen's hands clenched back and forth against the bike's handle as he maneuvered through the lanes of cars. I only knew this because I was held onto him so tightly (begrudgingly at that) with the speed he was going at. I was still slightly intoxicated and every hole we sunk in or tried to maneuver around was just another threat to my fragile stomach contents.

"Are you vex with me?" I asked against the roar of the wind, smacking my lips together. I never knew your lips get numb when you're intoxicated. I should though, studying medicine and all. Maybe I did but at that moment I couldn't remember a lot. I blamed the alcohol for that too. It was fun and I found myself giggling as I tested it out.

"Will you stop that?" He snapped.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "stop what? Laughing? Didn't know it was a crime to enjoy life, Aspen."

"You're so infuriating. Sometimes I wonder how someone could be so dimwitted."

"Oh gee thanks," I spat out sarcastically already feeling my mood do a 180-degree turn. My voice cracked and I cursed the alcohol for making my emotions heighten and my heartache.

He glanced behind at my eyes covered by his helmet and his face suddenly softened, "I'm sorry Tostito, I honestly didn't mean it. I just... I guess I'm just annoyed."

"Will you stop calling me that ridiculous name. We're not friends Aspen, I barely know you and I don't think, wait no, I definitely still don't want to," feeling the salty tears flow past my mouth, I folded my arms and turned my head to face the buildings we passed. I wasn't in the mood to even acknowledge his presence. I didn't even care about the consequences of my harsh words. I ended up still mumbling just because I was feeling petty, "you disgust me."

He never said anything else for the whole ride to my home.

Or for the following week after that.

We hadn't acknowledged each other's existence in the past eight days and I didn't care. Well, at least I didn't want to. I stopped bothering to wake up early and by the time I did, he was already out the house going to who knew where. It was like deja vu. The only time we had to deal with each other was through dinner and it ended in awkward silence. I think Meredith realized but my dad was so unobservant he just continued to talk stories of the ER he thought we were engaged in.

It was for the best. He was leaving soon and I only had two and a half more weeks of vacation. I wasn't going to let Aspen's broody mood affect mine. Even though I was sure it matched already.

"Wynter?" I looked up from the magazine I was reading on the dining table to see Meredith leaning against the door frame, "I was just wondering if we could talk. I need to run to the supermarket and want some company."

I didn't entirely want to spend my Sunday doing errands but I got up from my chair knowing with Meredith she wasn't going to take no for an answer.

"Okay let's go."

I pushed the cart as Meredith ran a long manicured nail through the different kinds of pasta lined up on the shelves.

"I don't know why it's so hard to find gluten-free pasta," she commented. I wasn't sure what to reply so I didn't.

"So the real reason I asked you to come with me is because of my brother," She began and my interest suddenly perked up.

"I think you need to know something about him. I know it's not my place but I could tell something's going on between you two. I know him well enough to know that a pretty girl like you is hard for him to resist. Whatever he said or did please forgive him. Let bygones be bygones, Wynter."