Chapter 14

Just then, the waitress came and placed a full tray of a selection of different bottles of alcohol and chasers and one cocktail in which she placed in front of me, "Oh no I'm not drinking." I frowned looking at the blue concoction put in front of me.

"Of course she's not drinking," Aspen mocked the waitress, "it's not like she's been drinking for the past few days, blacking out every night."

He was mad. I wasn't sure what triggered it but clearly, that comment was a long time in waiting.

I was pissed, "you know what, leave it. I think I could handle myself."

The waitress looked confused as she chewed what I guessed was gum. She had both of her hands leaning up against the table, allowing her breasts to be pushed up even further on her chest. Batting her eyelashes she beamed at Aspen before she decided to leave.

I took a sip of the fruity drink, while the conversation moved away from me thankfully and onto Lily. I tried to listen but was too busy trying to ignore Aspen's burning glare on me.

A few sips in and I felt the effects of the alcohol take over me. I was tipsy and I knew if I drank anymore I would have been walking on the line of dangerous territory. The men talked about business, things I couldn't relate to so instead I spent the time stealing glances at Aspen out of the corner of my eye. He seemed so comfortable in himself I envied him.

"You okay?" Luca whispered in my ear, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. Everyone seemed to have loosened up from the alcohol and I was beginning to feel relaxed. Even Lilly was cozying up to the ginger-haired guy whose name I eventually learned was Demetri. He was the oldest in the group being a little more than a quarter-century. They were both deep in conversation, laughing in between.

I warmed with Luca's touch and looked into his eyes with a smile signaling yes. His dimples printed out as he smiled back ever so slightly.

"I have a confession," I began, swirling the straw placed in my now empty drink, "I never left my ID card home, I'm still not old enough to be here...I definitely shouldn't be drinking in such a public place."

He laughed and I felt it roll off his shoulders, "Want to know a secret? I know Wynter. But you're a cute drunk. Besides, nobody will catch you, trust me on that." He signaled me a wink causing my grin to widen, "Hopefully I could bring out that smile more often. Sober and all. You wear it well."

His words were sweet. I unconsciously rested my head on the arm wrapped around me, turning my attention back to the table.

Aspen was staring at us. If a look could kill someone I'm pretty sure Luca would have been dead. It looked as if Aspen wanted to rip the arm wrapped around my shoulder off.

He didn't seem to hide his anger, which made me wonder if my being so close to his friend pissed him off that badly. I knew we were never going to work past our differences but I should be allowed to flirt with whom I wanted. Was I that repulsive that Aspen didn't even want his friends associating with me?

"I think we should leave," He stated curtly as he got up and waited for me to follow. Taking a wad of money out of his wallet he threw it on the table and said to his friends, "thanks for having us, you know I'll keep in touch. I'm not sure exactly when I'm leaving Pennsylvania yet."

"Keep your money, Aspen, you know the drinks are on me," Luca frowned.

"I'm not ready to leave yet," I argued, resting my hand on Luca's lap. He squeezed my shoulder in response. "Besides I can get a drop home, Lily."

"I'm not explaining to your father where you've been and why you didn't come back with me. Unless you want to?" He waited for my response. The smug prick knew he had me there, his knowing smirk said it all.

One other thing he couldn't seem to mask was the rage emitting off of him in waves. I knew I'd hear from him about me coddling up next to Luca but I shouldn't have to.

"Fine," I sighed and waited for Luca to let me come out of the booth.

"It was a pleasure meeting you, Wynter, I hope to see you again," Luca handed me a business card and smoothly kissed my cheek "here's my number." My blush in response was enough to tell me that I was clearly attracted to Luca. It was hard not to be. He was handsome.

At that point, I wasn't sure Aspen looked too stable. His hands were clenched into fists, making the veins splattered on his arms even more prominent. I was scared at that moment that he would have a stroke with the way his pressure looked like it was raising.

"Goodbye Luca," he told his friend, not even waiting for his response as he turned on his heel and practically marched away. Rude.

"Lily are you ready to leave?" I asked her as she kept on giggling at something Demetri was saying. I sent her pleading eyes but she was too engrossed in what he was saying to even get the cue.

"No hun, I need to sober up and then I'll drive. You be safe," she dismissed me with a half-wave of her hand. I begrudgingly followed Aspen out, knowing the drive home was going to be painfully awkward.