Chapter 6

Angelique's house was on the outskirts of town, in an even quieter location than mine. Perfect party place. Her parents were out of town for the weekend so everyone who was anyone would most likely be showing up.

Chase and Lily had passed for me on the way. The drive from my house to there no longer than twenty minutes.

"I cannot believe you guys convinced me to come." I mustered to them."Is it too late to back out now?"

"Well it was like pulling teeth and yes it's way too late now," Lily said smugly from the passenger seat. I rolled my glass down, allowing the cool breeze to blow gently against my face, whipping my hair in all sorts of directions. I had entered the car wearing my hair slicked back in a messy bun with my regular sweatpants and t-shirt and Lily had been mortified. She dragged me back upstairs and literally forced me to wear jeans and a tube top. I had even let her fix my hair into soft waves and apply mascara with lipgloss. But that was as far as I would let her. When we were leaving and I glanced at my reflection in my mirror, it was scary how much I had looked like the old me. The one who cared about the opinions of boys specifically.

My dad also got a glimpse of me and had smiled. That had hurt the most. I knew he hated how closed off and reserved I had become. The depression looming on my back had been like a heavyweight for the past year and I knew it was taxing on him too.

Even Aspen had looked taken aback as he caught my eye, a pop tart hanging out from his ajar mouth. Something foreign had been sparking in those turquoise eyes and maybe once upon a time it would have made my heart go pitter-patter but instead it just made a sour taste in my mouth.

After his rendezvous with his so-called friend, we hadn't spoken for the week, avoiding each other at all costs. Or me avoiding him and it just being by chance that we didn't encounter. Whatever. The point was I was glad that he didn't have the chance to get under my skin again.

Part of me had wanted to tell him to come with us for some strange reason. Even though we had started on bad terms and I didn't fancy the male species (other than Chase) I felt bad for him. A new town, with new people, it got lonely. I knew from experience. But I had bit my tongue back and didn't give him a second glance as Lily dragged me back to the car. Forcefully may I add.

"Whatever, but if this goes south," and I had a feeling it would have, "we get to leave when I say."

"Sure." Lily and Chase mumbled in unison, even though I had a feeling it was just to please me.

The music started echoing from even before we reached Angelique's house. It was similar to mine but more modern. Industrial with a flair for minimalism. I went to her birthday party at her house a few years ago and it still looked the same. As I said, everyone in Chesterbrook knew everyone.

I looked at the steps leading to the two open front glass doors and gulped. My heart started quickening and I felt myself succumb to the social anxiety.

"I- don't think I could do this guys." Chase parked his car and both he and Lily exited the car door. Lily opened mine and with a hand on her hip watched me condescending.

"We're going." She stated, pulling my hand causing me to reluctantly get out the door. I groaned, wiping my palms on the front of my jeans, wishing cold sweating was not my disgusting trait.

I nibbled my lip nervously as I followed them up the stairs, hand trembling. We passed familiar faces in which I offered faint smiles as the music grew louder. House music was blasting against the walls and my eardrums. God, it was loud.

Lily immediately started dancing through the crowd, her short, plaid skirt tight against her legs as she maneuvered with ease. I panicked trying to keep up with her and Chase, ensuring not to lose sight of them.